Exploding Light Bulbs

You're right (of course!). 'Twould indeed be 50Hz. But I recall that you could just see the flicker when you weren't looking directly at the lights.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

That is because peripheral vision is more sensitive to flicker.

Chris J Dixon

watching TV pictures (on CRTs, of course). In the USA, where the field/frame rate is 60/30Hz(ish), I found it totally absent. In latter years, I seemed to notice it less (or maybe, eventually, simply got used to it).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Modern LCD TVs are often generating 100Hz or higher interframe rates and their intrinsic flicker even at 50Hz is usually less than a tube based display. Large plasma ones at basic rate are more annoying in peripheral vision.

A wall full of large screen TVs can be a bit disconcerting in shops. YMMV

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

It will depend on the lamp design, but the persistence of the filament usually prevents any noticeable flicker even with a diode.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe required in some regulatory regions and not others, or required for some supply voltages or power outputs and not others. Enables a scale of mass production beyond just a single product.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Something that used to be done with commercial installations back when they used series strings and you didn't want someone checking them everyday, was that a sacrificial set was cut up and used to add two or three extra lights to all the other sets.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel