Expensive tools

Although this is for DIYers, not pros, there aught to be a thread here for really decent kit.

I have just been using a diamond hone made by Eze-Lap. I cost me 30 odd nicker. And is worth double that. Mine is blemished and if I had not got it from a notorious cheap shop (Tool Man in Stoke on Trent) I'd have taken it back.

I could not seem to get an edge on the blades of a Makita planer that had been used for years without being set right. The blades were sticking a good 1/8th further out than they should have been so I was not suprised at the difficulty.

It was only toward the end of my effort after polishing them for ages that I realised all the steel dross I was removing was fll of lood from where I had been trying to get a feel of the edge.

Now I have to work most of the week with no skin on my finger.

If you sharpen tools often get one; a lovely boy's toy for the shed.

It is a slab of 1/4" steel the same size as a regular hone. One side fairly coarse one so fine I thought it was just plain metal. The coarse one doing a better job than the fine face on my oil stone.

My old hone still has a flat surface on the fine edge after more than 15 years use btw. I shall be sad to retire it.

***

My Fern 32V drill has just done its first set of interior doors. My 24 volt would need recharging soon after drilling 8 or so mortice catch and handle holes. This thing was still going strong after 9. And such a piece of cake to use.

There may be some debate as to whether it is in the same class as expensive drills. As far as I am concerned it is. £55 for the drill and £20 for a spare battery. After drilling into concrete blocks all day for plugging and screwing skirting boards it needed 2 hours charging the next day.

Besides, having two batteries on a drill like that makes it a bargain at

75 quid. That is what I paid for the imitation Makita 24V and I was as pleased as punch with that. Still am.
Reply to
Michael Mcneil

You do realise the difference between a newsgroup and a forum?

Reply to
BigBird