Euan Mearns on the risk to Scottish power as a result of Longannet closing`

A very interesting read.

Mike Tomlinson

Does supply between England and Scotland *actually* operate as an inter-connector as he implies, or are producers and consumers in both countries part of a single grid?

Looks like there's at least an East and West coast run of pylons

Reply to
Andy Burns

I posted a link recently which said that if Scotland suffered a total blackout, it would need power over the interconnector from the English grid to restart (you need power to start up power stations). Recovery would take ~24 hours.

The interconnector appears to be 3.5GW max.

Mike Tomlinson

Its a moot point, since all the grid is 'interconnectors'

Gridwatch is now monitoring cross border flows at Euan's request.

The point being to see the effect of Longannet's closure..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is basically another nail in the coffin of Scotland's independence.

In reality Scotland is as independent of the UK as the western world is independent of electricity.

I.e. not at all. It's a meaningless political statement, when all is said and done.

But then, the 'best' political statements are just that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is this visible on

(maybe I need to go to specsavers...)

Reply to
Ian

NO, except if you download the whole database, its there.

Since that's > 50Mbyte, I don't advertise it.

If you want it email webmaster at templar dot co dot uk

In due course I'll have to revamp the whole site, but tied up in legal shit at the moment

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No problem, and thanks for the public service.

Reply to
Ian