Electrox vaccy won't start

My Electrolux Mondo 5116 turbo vaccuum cleaner is getting erratic. The motor starts OK and the variable speed control works when the button is pressed and held, but generally it just stops again as soon as it is released. I can use it by keeping a foot on the button all the time, but it ain't very convenient. Is it likely to be a simple repair or can it be bodged. Electronic soldering is not a problem. As its more than 2 years old and out of guarantee it's not worth that much.

TIA for any ideas.

rusty

Reply to
rusty

probably one of those horrible buttons with a plastic *spring* in it and it just fails to close properly. Might be bunged up with dust.

Worth taking the switch off and looking at it.

Reply to
EricP

Yes it's something like that I recall. Fixed mine, now it's buggered again. Unfortunately the Mondos have sodding security fixings, the torx style ones with the raised centre. Like postponing the real job in hand to vacuum wasn't bad enough, fixing the tool to clear the space, to use another tool to do the real job. And then you gotta buy a special tool on top of that.

Reply to
visionset

The message from "visionset" contains these words:

They're very easy to get bits for. Almost any tool shop will sell you a set.

Reply to
Guy King

Not a problem if its just the switch. The Maplin screwdriver kit has one the fits. Star shape with a spigot in the middle. I once sucked up a pint of water with it by mistake and thought it might have shorted out a circuit board.

My other JCB industrial vaccuum has a dodgy thermal cutout. That has to be left for half an hour to reset itself after ten minutes use in hot weather

rusty

Reply to
rusty