Electrics question

Couple of pretty simple electrics questions here for someone.

I have a central heating plinth heater for my kicthen. It needs to be wired in (I assume just for the fan as the central heating does the rest). Instructions say it should be conneted by a double pole 3A fused spur with min 3mm contact gap.

Is it safe to fit a 3A plug on the end and just plug in it. And is it legal to do that too?

Second I have a cooker good, Instructions say connect y double pole switch - doesn't say anything about a gused spur.

Same questions for that one, is it safe to fit it with a plug and is it legal/

Cheers, Dave

Reply to
daveskirrow

As I understand the regulations, yes to both. The requirement is that there is an accessible means of disconnecting both line and neutral from the device so it can be serviced. Pulling a plug out does that very effectively.

Reply to
usenet

I thought the kitchen was the forbidden zone now.

Then again, going faster than 70 on the motorway is also illegal.

:¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

Well on those grounds, fitting a plug would be the only legal way

Reply to
Richard Conway

Thanks for that!

For me the safety is far more important than the legality of it really.

And the wires go through the wall and will be plugged in on the other side of the wall - so I guess they are not actully in the kitchen. :)

Reply to
daveskirrow

Yes. It is safe and legal and effective providing the plinth heater has a temperature switch to turn off when the primary circuit temperature drops. It would be better to use the CH supply, though, if available.

However, this solution on its own will not provide temperature control for the room, which is a requirement of the building regulations. This should be done by an inline TRV, a zone valve, or having the room thermostat in the same room.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle
[ re: using plugs and sockets as means of isolating kitchen electrical equipment ]

really.

other

In which case, AIUI, it would be neither safe nor legal...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"In which case, AIUI, it would be neither safe nor legal... "

Uh-oh... whys that?

The appliances back onto a wall which has the under-the-stairs space on the otherside. There are sockets under the stairs on the same wall so I've drilled a hole in the wall, pushed the wire though and am about to (if its safe) put a plug on the other end and plug it in under te stairs. Is that what you thought I meant?

I don't see how that would be any less safe than plugging it in the kitchen, but then again I am far from an expert which is why I posted here! Please fill me in..

Reply to
daveskirrow

Is it because removing the fuse for the kitchen would leave these appliances on?

Reply to
daveskirrow

IIRC isolation needs to be within reach, ie. in the same room and close to the appliance (no more than 2 meters?), otherwise isolation needs to be secure (it would need the use of a 'tool' or replacement of a removable part to re-establish the circuit - the use of a padlock or the removing of a fuse link etc. for example[1]).

[1] the problem with just a plug is that any fool can push it back in without first checking if someone is working on the appliance it feeds, which they couldn't do you the padlock key or fuse link was in the possession of the person working on the appliance.
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Ok, thanks for that. Much appreciated :)

Reply to
daveskirrow

Just take it into the lounge to fit it :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

:¬)

Reply to