Electrical wiring Q.

Had a single storey rear extension done a few months back and this obviously included an extension to the mains ring. Is it true that wiring regs require any socket that can be potentially used outside (extension lead) to be RCD protected?

Reply to
Grumps

Yes

See On-Site Guide para 3.6.1 (iii) & (iv)

or regs sect 471-08-04 & -05

HTH

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

Ta. I just read some of PratP myself. Can the RCD protection be provided locally (i.e. by replacing the sockets with RCD ones), or MUST it be done by modifying the fuse board etc?

Reply to
Grumps

Yes

No.

It is the sockets that must be protected, not the circuit

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from "Grumps" contains these words:

Yes, but if your existing CU already has RCD protection on the sockets this is considered OK.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks. It hasn't :( So, can I just replace some sockets (there are 4 max that could realistically be used to supply outside power - and only one would ever be used) with ones with built-in RCD protection? I've read the regs now, but it just says 'you need RCD', it doesn't say whether the RCD should be at the CU.

Reply to
Grumps

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:57:15 +0100 someone who may be "Grumps" wrote this:-

Yes, provided the RCD sockets have suitable characteristics (I imagine at he ones that are sold do have suitable characteristics). This is in many ways better than RCD(s) at the consumer unit.

Reply to
David Hansen

Ta. That's the answer I like. Available units (Screwfix ranging from £50) all have 30mA and at least one is spec'd at 30ms (regs say

Reply to
Grumps

At a push, you could install one waterproof RCD socket outside and then you can realistically claim that indoor sockets wouldn't be used for outdoor appliances.

However, my personal opinion is that it is much safer to protect all sockets, even those not realistically used for outdoor appliances. I would except only sockets intended for fixed appliances such as fridges and freezers. This is because the RCD will provide secondary protection against electric shock and fire.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks. As the F-F is on the same ring as the extension sockets, it would seem sensible to replace the sockets with RCD types. This'd be cheaper than getting the sparks in to modify the CU to include RCD I would imagine.

Reply to
Grumps

I suppose realistically all sockets have the potential to be used for outside use.

Our bedroom sockets power the xmas lights outside on the guttering. All downstairs sockets have been used for extension cables, to power the car battery charger, electric drill etc etc.

Why not use one of pluginable RCD's, so you can use it whereever you go.

Reply to
Anonymous

I don't think those plugginable RCDs will pass the regs! The man at NAPIT told me, that in our situation, we need TWO separate sockets with RCD, OR the whole ring RCD protected.

Reply to
Grumps

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for the warning. The cheaper Volex one from Screwfix needs 25mm. Not sure about the MK one. There's one on TLC that also needs 25mm. I guess they'll all be the same; a bit stoopid if a manufacturer made a deeper one.

Reply to
Grumps

OK by the letter of the regs, but far from ideal. A 30mA on a socket is better protection than a 100mA in a CU. It's also less likely to trip and take out the freezer.

Reply to
dingbat

The message from snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com contains these words:

Ah, yes, sorry. I meant to add "considered by the regs, but in real life I'd rather do...."

Reply to
Guy King