Electric underfloor heating on top of kingspan

Hi,

I am insulating my shed to use as a workspace.

I bought a load of 50mm Kingspan insulation boards for the walls. I used the left over on the floor and covered it with 18mm chipboard, but Its still predictably cold.

I have an opportunity to buy some cheap electric underfloor mat heating.

What I want to do is take up the chipboard, put the heating mat on top of Kingspan, then put some cheap tiles on top.

Would this be ok ? ie. is it safe to lie the heating mat straight on top of the kingspan ?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Reply to
matt_randle

Hi,

I am insulating my shed to use as a workspace.

I bought a load of 50mm Kingspan insulation boards for the walls. I used the left over on the floor and covered it with 18mm chipboard, but Its still predictably cold.

I have an opportunity to buy some cheap electric underfloor mat heating.

What I want to do is take up the chipboard, put the heating mat on top of Kingspan, then put some cheap tiles on top.

Would this be ok ? ie. is it safe to lie the heating mat straight on top of the kingspan ?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Reply to
matt_randle

Did you insulate the ceiling as well?

What size of room is it?

The manufacturers web site usually give you the details.

Typically you need a screed of some sort to bury the UFH in. Directly on top of the insulation is usually fine - especially if it is foil faced.

I find in my 14x8' workshop a small wall mounted fan heater is more than adequate. That has 50mm polystyrene insulation in the walls and roof, but none on the floor which is just an air gap and 19mm ply.

Reply to
John Rumm