Electric shower question.

A pal asked me to look at his shower which is leaking badly. It's a Gainsborough Energy 2000X - about 5 years old. And leaking it certainly was. Pretty certain it is coming from the flow control. A quick Google shows I can get the part - at about 40 quid. But you can buy complete new ones for about double that.

So the question is:-

This one is on tiles and obviously to minimise the work I'd like one which has the water and mains inlets in the same position - or as near as possible. And one of at least the same physical size in case any of the tiles are cracked etc behind. The existing water inlet is bottom right - power top right.

My recommendation is to fit a new unit complete - unless it would look unsightly in which case I'd try a repair.

I've also found an unused one on Ebay - But of course that wouldn't have a warranty.

If we do decide on a new one, any particular make to go for?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Simplest way is to contact Gainsborough, assuming they are still in business and ask them for a direct replacement shower. IME most manufacturers stick to the same inlet positions across their ranges.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for that. I've had a look at their website and they appear to be the same. Would the fixing holes be too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why don't you ask Gainsborough?

Bruce

Check the time of my posts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just replaced a five-year-old Gainsborough 9.5 delux with a Gainsborough

9.5 SE.

Same "engine" inside. Same mounting holes, same fixing points for the cover.

So, the only difference is the "look" of the cover and any mods they've made to the internals of the shower engine.

Definitely worth investigating a direct repacement model.

Cheers, Rumble

Reply to
Dave Osborne

And you couldn't wait until the morning to get a definitive answer straight from the horse's mouth?

I suppose this is the YouTube/MySpace/Facebook/iPod/PlayStation generation, always looking for instant gratification at all hours of the day and night ...

Reply to
Bruce

You guarantee they'll answer emails? My experience of many firms is different.

I'm asking myself why you bothered posting since you're no help. Others have kindly answered the question.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Great - thanks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I recently emailed them via the contact form about a thermostatic shower part, and I got a response within a few hours, and then several more emails quickly received as I asked further questions.

I'd give Gainsborough credit for an excellent service here actually.

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

That's my experience as well....I sometimes wonder if they realise they have a web presence ...lol

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

I was asking you why you were wasting people's time on here, when you could and should have contacted Gainsborough direct.

Thank you for your reply, which confirmed my view.

Reply to
Bruce

So 'people' are forced to read - and reply - to my posts?

I take it you're new to all this?

Hope you'll learn quickly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Usenet since 1993. 15 years. You?

I did, thanks. Hope you'll start learning soon.

Reply to
Bruce

Still in short trousers then ...

Reply to
geoff

How is it wasting our time? This way we all get to hear the answer and not just one person.

Reply to
John Rumm

I seem to be swapping around 15 electric showers a year.

The worst case senario is when a customer has already bought a replacement by a different manufacturer and all the fixings are different and the pipe and cables are behind the tiles (with tiles around the shower instead of behind it). The best case senario is a like for like replacement. Maybe as litle as 20 minutes to do.

The trend for rounder, smaller electric shower units means the fixing holes for the screws may be different even if you buy a shower by the same manufacturer (like for like not always possible), although the pipe and cable may have the same entry point.

I do believe a standard should be set for electric shower entry points. Most electric showers allow cables and pipes from above, below and behind. Why not have set points for these? There are standards for taps etc

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Think it is the worst case scenario ;-)

He's trying for an unused identical one off Ebay.

Too easy. ;-(

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)