Electric shock/static... in bed?!

Tim W wibbled on Sunday 29 November 2009 20:31

^^^ separated extra low voltage in case of pedants ;->

Reply to
Tim W

I certainly wouldn't trust any gizmo of that ilk not to catch a fire itself when passing a 2kW load, never mind relying on it to prevent a high consumption and fire risk appliance from coming on while I was out.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

If you're old some of the age concern places did used to do a swap service for Electric blankets.

Reply to
mogga

reynaulds is helped by one.

You can get over throws with heating in too for when you're dossing about on the sofa.

Reply to
mogga

I'm old.

But I suspect not quite that old...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Just revisiting an old thread here...

I duly replaced the electric blanket and binned the old one. Didn't actually bother to deliberately try and replicate the conditions which caused the symptoms, but did so inadvertently last night.

Would you believe it - the new blanket (a decent brand name item) behaves in exactly the same way!

I'm not concerned at having replaced the old blanket as it was past it's use-by date; however should I be worrying about the new one, or my home's wiring? Needless to say I've examined it and there's certainly no damage eg in terms od exposed insulation etc.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Can you confirm what you said in your original post, that Mrs feels a shock touching you, but you didn't say you felt a shock touching her?

I mention this only because I have become aware of some very strange changes in sensitivity to static shocks in people who have thyroid problems. No - I can't for the life of me see how the electric blanket could be making this occur. But in the absence of any other good explanations...

Reply to
Rod

Yes, it works both ways!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Either the two of you are forming an inductive loop in bed, or she's a catfish?

An aside, ye feed catfish, ye get electricity. How efficient is this process?

Reply to
Adrian C