DVD widescreen problem

We've got a Toshiba widescreen rear-projection TV, and an 'el cheapo' DVD player. The problem is that when playing DVD's which are in the

4:3 format, the TV keeps switching between 4:3 and widescreen, after the DVD has been playing for a few minutes. It seems to work OK with widescreen discs.

So, what do people think, is there a fault with the TV, or the DVD player?

The TV switches OK with our el cheapo Freeview decoder, putting in grey 'curtains' when showing 4:3.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

Check the SCART plugs are securely in at both the TV end and the DVD end. Wiggle them a bit, then push them in securely.

Reply to
Paul Martin

i had that problem with a sony dvd player a good few years back - it only happened when the player was used with certain televisions - in my case ironically a sony one. sony didnt know how to fix it, had to get a refund.

Reply to
The dog from that film you saw

Can you turn off the auto format selection on the TV in these situations? i.e. manually set it to 4:3 rather than let it auto select.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd give them a clean too. Pin 8 carries the switching to widescreen using approx 4-7v for 16:9 and 9-12v for 4:3. So if the volts were low due to a high resistance connection it could drop back to 16:9.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's what I have to do - for some reason something in the signal causes the auto-format to kick in.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I thought it might be something like that, I did in fact get a new Scart lead with a round cable, as the one I had was a flat ribbon cable, which might not have all the necessary signals. It does tend to come out of the sockets with it being a bit heavier. How much current does the switching input need to operate?

I can't get into the menu on the TV, as the remote doesn't work, we've been told the sensor on the TV is faulty and the (independent repair) shop can't get a replacement. i assume these remote sensors use a photodiode, so I might take it apart to have a look, and get one from Maplin or some other component supplier. Anybody got any advice on this?

Thankyou for your help.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

How confident are you of the repair shop's diagnosis and attempt to find the sensor part (if it is indeed that which is faulty)?

i assume these remote sensors use a

Often it's a small module, comprising the photodiode and amplifier / signal conditioning circuitry.

What's the model number of the TV?

Reply to
Adrian C

All the ribbon ones I've seen are fully populated. The switching current would be tiny. Of course it may not switch via the SCART but by data on line whatever in the picture.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Line 23. I've not encountered a DVD player that doesn't produce a Line

23 WSS, though I'm sure some exist.

It's possible that the TV set is fighting against/confused by WSS on Scart Pin 8, and Line 23 in the VBI, though if it's been designed properly it certainly shouldn't do !

Reply to
Mark Carver

Auto switching is achieved by three mechanisms. One is via the SCART lead - there is a wire (pin 8) dedicated to the format - the voltage on it will dictate the format. In addition, many TVs recognise a signal inserted onto one of the video lines. Finally, some TVs will attempt to analyse the picture content and "zoom" as appropriate. Alas many make a bit of a pigs breakfast of this, and you can get format hopping as you describe. With broadcasts you sometimes get confused signalling being sent out which can also make matters worse.

Reply to
John Rumm