Driving past a sodding big antenna

Actually, it is...for now. Or use my first name instead of the 'news0001'.

Yes, I realised that afterwards. The name and initials are fairly rare, so it was easy to notice..

I know it...I'm still at UKC of course.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No wires, no coils, no connections but the chaps who used to run a radio-frequency gluing unit at a factory where I once worked, used to keep a bare fluorescent tube on the top of the machine. It would light up whenever the unit was in operation.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Ah.

Perhaps I ought to have inserted my fluorescent tube story here. Never mind: you'll find it ^^thataway^^ upthread.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

According to my iPhone app there are 1100 licensed and 1428 SORNed Sierra Cosworths still around in 2011 Q2.

Reply to
Ashley Booth

I hope you didn't pay much for an app that most likely pulls its data from here ...

16,000 still around.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Over 16,000 still around.

I was specifically talking about a (three door) Cossie. There are 1100 of those left. My old one is SORN'd.

Reply to
Huge

You were, Tony wasn't ... thankfully the site shows summary as well as detailed info

Interesting cycles of them being put on the road and sorned again, people running them for the summer, gap widening as more of them are left off the road each year?

Andy Burns

The cooling ponds full of thrashing goldfish who reproduced like BBC managers due to the warm water. They would swarm to teh edge when someone came by to beg for food (the fish begging not the people!!)

Mike

That was the trick played regularly on the old Christmas lectures wasn't it. The coil lighting the tube!

Mike

It its BBC managers that doesn't apply.

Well perhaps they aren't people, at that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What is SORNed? something to do with the environment and older cars?

gr, hwh

Reply to
hwh

Statutory Off Road Notification

It's how the Government have chosen to punish otherwise law-abiding motorists who want to take their cars off the road in a pointless and bureaucratic attempt to do something about the chavs who drive untaxed, uninsured, unMOTed cars. Whereas what they should do is crush said cars with the chavs in them.

Reply to
Huge

Statutory Off Road Notification or some such nonsense. One of the hoops owners who have taken their cars off the road in recent years have to jump through to prove they aren't intending to use them without road tax, MOT or insurance. It doesn't apply to cars that haven't been taxed since before the legislation was enacted.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

You also have to tell the DVLA that your car is not insured by means of the SORN fACILITY

Reply to
Peter

Red tape, then.

gr, hwh

Reply to
hwh

Punish? Bit harsh a word for a form every 12 months...

The chavs won't care it's still cheaper to have the car crushed than pay the road tax, MOT, and insurance... There ought to be a real punishment though, taking away their driving licence isn't going to bother them, after all they aren't bothered about having any of the other bits of paper associated with using a vehicle. Take away any benefits they are getting or if they aren't getting any, a tagged curfew or a jail term.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Correct.

Reply to
Huge

It's pointless bureaucratic bullshit being imposed on the innocent.

They would if they were in the car.

Reply to
Huge

It's not completely unreasonable to use 'punish'.

The real offence is having a vehicle on the road (whether it is ever driven or not) if it is not taxed, insured and (if applicable). Until recently, normal law-abiding people simply obeyed this law.

The SORN is essentially just a declaration that you're not committing (or going to commit) that offence.

However, simply failing to make a SORN declaration when the law says you need to is in itself an offence - regardless of whether you are actually breaking the 'real' law.

'Punish' too harsh? I think not!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

And there's some pretty impressive engineering inside the buildings of some of the main terrestrial TV sites now - e.g. look at the photos of Rowridge here:

Andy Wade