Drilling small holes in lead / soft alloy

Hi I need to drill 1.5 - 2.0mm diameter holes to a depth of about 8mm in very soft alloys / lead. Using a small model maker's drill of unknown rpm only seems to get to about

2mm easily. The workpiece warms up (actually, quite hot) and it seems that drilling stops. Is there a technique for drilling this type of material? High rpm or slow? Ta.
Reply to
Grumps

SLOW! I'd use a hand drill.

Reply to
Newshound

I suspect your drill is simply getting clogged and so is unable to cut any further in. The trick with soft materials, especially something like lead, is a very slow drill speed, and I mean really slow. Drill a little way in, and lift up to allow swarf removal. Repeat a few times until you're at the required depth.

Reply to
Grunff

seems that

I expect that the flutes of the drill are getting clogged with the relatively soft swarf. Use a 'pecking' action - drill in a short way, withdraw to clear the drill flutes then start again. The smaller the drill the faster you need it to turn. See here for a chart:

Andrew Mawson

And thanks for the link to that chart.

Reply to
Grumps

The message from Grunff contains these words:

And experiment with the angle of the cutting edge of the drill. Too sharp may cause problems if it's trying to remove too much material at a time.

Reply to
Guy King

If dimensions are not critical, I'd start by trying a hammer and nail.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You should find that quick spiral drills work better than ordinary jobber drills.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

pull the drill and swarf out and try again.

The soft swarf clogs it,.

Lubrication and a low drill speed works best.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

From my apprentice days I seem to recall that Turpentine was the recommended lubricant for lead. Paraffin would also probably work - I always used that for machining aluminium.

Reply to
John

Thanks. What do you call low speed (in rpm) for a 2mm bit?

Reply to
Grumps

Hand drill speed - 100-300rpm tops.

Reply to