Drilling SDS holes

I think he meant depth rather than width

Reply to
Phil L

I already have the 16mm SDS bit .... so have to use that, can't afford to go buy another bit (not even sure you can get a 16mm core drill that will drill 150mm deep.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Didn't hit rebar (they were deeper, but did hit the reinforcing mesh a few times .... drilled the holes yesterday ... and hit rebar on 4 of them. Once I hit the bar, I swapped to my normal rotary drill with a 16mm HSS bit, and about a minute of that on medium speed would but enough of a 'dimple' in the bar to allow SDS drill to chip it's way through and as long as you go slow, the bit does not catch.

All holes completed ... but as weather is very cold at moment will not resin studs in yet.

I followed advice here .... used a 6mm drill to create a start point (couple of mm deep only) then started 16mm SDS on rotation only until it had gone in a few mm, and then switched to impact ... all holes exactly where I want them.

Reply to
Rick Hughes