Drilling out broken self tappers

Will tungsten carbide drill 'self tapper' steel?

I have some tiny ones broken off flush and wonder if my PCB pillar drill which uses tungsten bits would drill them out - but suspect they would break first due to not having anything to centre on?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or break due to snagging or being pushed off true on the rough, broken, surface of the self tapper. Can you file the end of the ST and center pop it?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

I've done it a few times but its difficult getting the drill to start on the remnants of the screw..

Reply to
tony sayer

Good job for a Dremel.

Reply to
Bruce

Ask your local dentist for his worn drill bits?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I don't think self tappers are likely to be particularly hard, so the real problem is holding the drill in position. I would make sure you do grind or file them down as flat as possible, and then try holding a piece of narrow tubing over them while you drill through the middle. You might be able to keep the hole in the right place like that. At a pinch, you might even find that, in reverse, a drill might wind them out.

spamlet