Drawing HW cylinder design - Sketchup?

Hi,

In the same vein as Dave's question on Decking CAD:

I'm going along with making my own heatbank out of a regular (but bigger than normal) copper cylinder with extra tappings, sensor pockets and immersion bosses.[1]

All I need are 5 drawings - basically front, sides, back and birds-eye, with dimensions.

I *could* bang these out on a regular CAD (I have cycas) - but I was wondering if this was a good excuse to learn Sketchup?

Having a 3D model would be useful, so I can add the components, spin it around and see if everything fits nicely - and less tediously, alter a tapping once rather than in 2 or 3 elevation drawings.

So, now you know what I want to do, could Sketchup manage this fairly easily?

Cheers

Tim

[1] Newark Copper Cylinders have got some base models very close to what I want and are more than happy to do custom fittings - prices seem very reasonable (it may end up being half what DPS want for functionally the same thing, even when I've added the pumps and mixers and stuff).
Reply to
Tim S

Yes, it should do that fine. It's certainly very useful for being able to view things in 3D, put in section cuts and see how components fit together.

It's worth mentioning that the only way to represent "thickness" of a material in Sketchup is to draw two planes separated slightly apart. There's no concept of "solid" - a cube is just 6 faces with no gaps. This has implications: is the copper shell of your HW cylinder worth drawing as the inside and the outside surfaces separately? How about copper pipes?

You will need to read the documentation for the follow-me tool to figure out how to draw things like the dome on top of the cylinder and piping.

Threads might be interesting: you can either leave them out, cheat by drawing them without the pitch, or else there are downloadable threads that you can scale to size.

Reply to
Jim

Jim coughed up some electrons that declared:

Aye - there's no need for thickness. Outside surfaces are all that are needed.

I did have a go - limited success. Now you've told me that I'm not barking up the wrong tree I'll persevere :) Every "cad" (proper or otherwise) system I've used has had a different method of thinking and it is hard work to learn another.

Threads too aren't a problem. I would be happy enough with a pump that's made of one cylinder (body) and two thinner cylinders (pipe unions). Pipes will just be "follow me" tubes. Plate exchanger will be a box with 4 short cylinders.

That's the only level of detail I need: a dimensionally correct schematic really. Just to get the macroscopic bits to line up with minimum pipe bends and make sure that nothing fouls. As a bonus, a Sketchup model can be stuck into TurboFloorPlan as a component.

Then I have drop some plan drawings off it from 5 orthogonal directions with dimensions, that'll give Newark what they need - they'll draw it up again properly to suit their processes anyway, as long as it's clear and unambiguous.

Thanks :)

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Try raiding the warehouse and adapting something, Scale is your friend:

?mid=5f61a64d527b119c688f4a024f40593e&prevstart=60Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Adam Aglionby coughed up some electrons that declared:

An excellent idea - ta!

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I know an architect who uses Archicad for proper architectural drawings, but uses Sketchup if he just wants to put together a quick diagram of how a building fits together.

In terms of drawing 'shapes in space' there's nothing quite like it.

Reply to
OG

Hi,

OK - I'm totally impressed with Sketchup. It IS is brain-spasm away from other CAD methodologies, but I think it is actually better - very very powerful and it does seem to try very hard to do the "right thing".

My advice to anyone wanting to use Sketchup is to set aside a day and do the

3 getting started interactive training demos, then watch as many free online training videos as possible. It wastes less time that fighting with it in the absence of basic competence :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

OK - quick follow up.

I went through all the Sketchup videos and interactive tutorials. I can now get it to mostly do what I want with some fluency - though I expect there is much I don't know.

Anyway, well worth the effort IMO. Weird learning curve, but not hard if you just set out to "waste" a day doing following the videos and trying stuff, before trying to draw what you actually intended (this is the road to hell, because you waste more time trying to find out how to do something, that was the wrong thing to do in the first place).

I had another vested interest, as I use TurboFloorPlan. This is a fairly good (and not expensive) "walk-through" sorta-cad for houses - but being yankie in origin, the model catalogues are useless for electrical items - but it does import Sketchup models. So I now have a few basics like 13A sockets, light switches and the like drawn up and imported.

Thanks for the pointers :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to