Door slamming

I have a door that when closed normally slams against the frame and due to the plasterboard partitions the frame is set into the slam reverberates around the whole flat. Other than coating the frame with bubblewrap any ideas?

Cheers E

That spongey self-adhesive window sealant stuff on a roll? There's probably a technical name for it :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

On 07 Sep 2005, E wrote

Stick a bit of draught-proofing strip along the top, so that it has to be pushed slightly to catch?

(Might be worth a try.)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

On 07 Sep 2005, Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot wrote

Great minds and all that.

(That's what I meant in my post -- you buy it for draught-proofing.)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Draught proofing.....stuff! That's the...um...technical name I was trying to think of.

Look, I've been up since four this morning.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

;)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

You could try moving the striking plate slightly.

If it's only a matter of a couple of mills, just push some matchsticks in the existing screw holes and then put the screws back in down the side of these. That should be enough to nudge it along a little and may be all you need.

You can get some sort of "anti-slam" mech for kitchen cupboards - you might be able to do something with one of them :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

You can get spring loaded shock absorbing piston type things in B&Q for use on kitchen doors. One (Or more) of these may help.

Not sure what they are called though.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Use a couple of those new things that "soft close" fitted kitchen cupboard doors, or preferably a friction stay (example pictured at:

Chris Bacon