Doing DaVinci

The Doing DaVinci team recreate designs of Da Vinchi. I've not seen such bodgy woodworking before. A certain person seems never to have learned how to cut a slot in wood with a Skilsaw, and argues all the time. It's a wonder they ever finish a project.

Reply to
Matty F

That was on here in the US earlier in the year - nice idea, but way too "reality TV". I seem to recall a couple of the people involved fighting all the time, and you're right about the bodge-factor...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

What is it with these programs? Do the producers think that it's not enough to have a purely technical theme, there's go to be an element of conflict in it as well? I watched an episode of "American Chopper" on Quest. It could have been interesting, but there was about five minutes of bike building, and all the rest was bloody arguments!

And its not just the Americans. Remember "Salvage Squad"? Two men and a woman, and all the two guys ever did was argue and sulk.

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

I suspect so - they think they'll appeal to both the technical-minded and those who enjoy shows such as Big Brother. I'm not sure that it's sound logic - as someone who likes technical stuff, I consider it ruined by the "reality" element :-(

Yes, and over here we get lots of five minute ad breaks, then they recap what you saw just before the break for a couple of minutes, too. An hour- long prog is probably about 35 minutes of actual content, 25 minutes of which is reality* crap. It's really hard to justify an hour in front of the TV for ten minutes of (potentially) interesting stuff.

  • except it's not; it's surprising when you really think about it how much is obviously scripted and staged for the cameras, rather than genuine.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Can I ask you how you found and latched on to this fantastic news group?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If you really want to know, I do a lot of d-i-y. I've not had a tradesman near the house for 20 years. The population of the UK is far greater than that of NZ, so there are more d-i-yers with ideas in here!

Reply to
Matty F

I often need to cut a slot in a piece of wood. I use a Skilsaw to do a bunch of cuts about 10mm apart, then break the pieces off with a chisel. Then I push the Skilsaw sideways to clean up the bottom of the slot. It makes a lovely job. Is there a better way other than using a bench saw or a router? I'm not talking cabinetmaking here, just gates and suchlike.

Reply to
Matty F

Not having a skill saw I use a circular saw to make cuts across the timber about 5 mm apart and then just pop the remaining bits out. The sliding mitre saw is better if I can get the timber to it.

IFAICT a skill saw is just a router with a limited set of cutters.

Reply to
dennis

d-i-yers with ideas in

But there are more tossers too.

There is one patrticular slob who doesn't know how to wave a paint- brush insisting against all the experts who one has to presume know best, that they are wrong and a bodge with silicon in the pointing of a chimney will sort a leakin flat roof.

I can't imagine the subject even being discussed by a Kiwi. They'd just "Get on with it mate!".

Reply to
chris