Dodgy tap?

Hi

Just been to a friend's house who has asked me to look at his tap. When it's first turned on there's a reasonable gush of water but the further it's turned on the slower it gets down to not much more than a dribble. Could someone please tell me if this is likely to be a washer or something more time consuming rendering the tap useless?

Thanks to any replies

David

Reply to
davidgladwin

|Hi | |Just been to a friend's house who has asked me to look at his tap. When |it's first turned on there's a reasonable gush of water but the further |it's turned on the slower it gets down to not much more than a dribble. |Could someone please tell me if this is likely to be a washer or |something more time consuming rendering the tap useless?

Sounds like a totally busted washer to me. Probably flapping around where it is not supposed to be. Change the washer first, and examine the innards of the tap while doing it. Then you will know what the problem is.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I see two possibilities. One is a big piece of debris in the line o tap. When the water is first turned on, it flows normally until th debris is sucked up into a restricted area, then the flow diminishes. After it is turned off the debris settles back to a low spot and free the water path again.

The other possibility is a restriction in the line from calculus o debris some distance from the tap. When the line is sitting idle, th pressure builds and is released when the tap is opened. Since the flo is restricted, the pressure drops pretty fast and the flow can't kee up. Therefore you get the eventual dribble.

There is one other possibility. I may be wrong.

Hope something here helps. TO

-- TomWTexas

Reply to
TomWTexas

Thanks for the thorough replies I'll give it ago at the weekend.

Cheers!

avid

Reply to
davidgladwin

2 points often forgotten:

Put the plug in the handbasin plughole to stop the little screw from the top of the tap falling down the plughole.

Hold the tap firmly when using a spanner on it, otherwise the tap will turn and break the basin.

Reply to
Nick

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:45:16 +0000,it is alleged that TomWTexas spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

One more possibility is the isolating valve for that particular tap [if there is one], may be partly or mostly closed, restricting the flow.

Reply to
Chip