Do I need the stck pipe?

Hi All, In our upstairs bathroom, at the toilet/basin/bath tap end, there is a large boxed area that has been tiled and takes a lot of the floor space (hides all the pipework). This had been made into an extension of the bathroom window shelf and on the right has another box going up to the roof with the soil stack in. As the box runs the width of the bathroom, is window high, and about 2 feet deep, SWMBO rightly wants it removed when we redo the bathroom (recessed sink, concealed cistern etc).
My question is, do I need to retain the stack pipe and hence it's box, or can I cut it off and fit a Durgo valve? A builder has said it's only there to stop the toilet siphoning and not to vent fumes out of the roof, is this right?
Thanks in advance.
DKSanders wrote:

You would have to fit the valve higher than the basin overflow. Do you have another vent for the drains? If not this could be a combined vent and anti-syphon. This is esp important at the end of a cul-de-sac. It might be an idea to ask your local building control officer if the use of a valve would be allowed under the regs.
Hi Bill, No, this appears to be the only vent for the drains. There are no other stack pipes on the property and all our waste pipes empty into it. We are also at the end of a cul-de-sac and slightly higher than the other properties. What difference does this make? BTW I will consult the local authority.
Dave

of