DIY results

Not had one of these threads for a bit...

Anyone want to post updates on stuff they asked about in the last month or so and have now completed?

How did it work out, How did you do in the end etc?

Reply to
John Rumm

Not had one of these threads for a bit...

Anyone want to post updates on stuff they asked about in the last month or so and have now completed?

How did it work out, How did you do in the end etc?

Cheers,

John.

Thanks for all the advice from you lot about my hallway floor problems, I took up the floorboards and as someone mentioned, it was a roughly tamped concrete floor with lengths of 2 X 1 timber poked into it to provide fixings. The timber was completely rotten due to a leak from the neighbours rising main which obviously had been leaking for some time. I cleaned out the remnants of batten and cut & wedged new lengths of treated timber in the slots - the only problem I had is that the top level was lower than the adjoining dining room floor but higher than the kitchen so I had to split the difference. After noting that the concrete was drying out ok, I knocked off the high spots and then laid a 1200g polythene membrane with new t&g boards laid on top with only a couple of fixings to stop it all sliding about. The laminate went down next on foam, had to get cheap homebase stuff to match up with the dining room so a bit disappointedwith the end result (chips and joints showing). All in all not too bad a result considering what I thought lay ahead of me when I lifted the carpet but in a few years when I get time, I'll take it up, take a few inches off the concrete, screed floor nice & level and lay a proper woodblock floor. Thanks again for all the advice,

Franko.

Reply to
Franko

I still have not got a bill for the window I smashed. But the neighbour has been locked up (cautioned I do believe) for smashing my fence with a pick axe and throwing a pint glass through my open bedroom window. He also got a good kicking off his other next door neighbour after threatening his daughter. Best of all I watched him give his car a good thrashing Basil Fawlty style after filling up with diesel instead of unleaded. Watching someone kick a car and call it a f****** b***** for 20 minutes is great entertainment.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth" saying something like:

I missed that; what thread was it?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The one with the subject "Cost for Council to replace window" Try here

ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth" saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I boughty a galvanised wall tie starter pack from Screwfix, but although their website claimed it was suitable for exterior use, the blurb it came with disagreed. Following advice on this NG I asked Screwfix to exchange it for a stainless steel version which they did, I've just had a notification of refund.

Oddly, the van that delivered the replacement stainless steel version didn't take away the galvanised version I had ready to return to them; another van arrived two days later for that. You'd think they'd coordinate these things better, eh?

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 21:43:29 +0100, Andy wrote (in article ):

Not really.

Some delivery firms will do a simultaneous deliver and collect service, but for most, these are booked separately.

Returns are typically booked with the cheapest service which generally means a 2-3 day delay.

Reply to
Andy Hall