DIY piano moving

Page 1 of 2
Anyone have any advice or tips for moving a babu grand piano 120 miles. I have ause of atrailer - about 9 x 4.
1 take the egs off? 2 transport it on its side - which side 3 umm
I looked on the HSS tool hire site but they don't have paino trolleys for hire.
Thank you,
Neil
(Niel A. Farrow) wrote:

for
Awwwwwwww! you've stolen my thunder!
Seriously, don't DIY.
Mary

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 23:34:40 +0100, Martin Angove
SWIPBA*1 has a piano, it's an upright and looks pretty old to my eyes. Made in London, and by W Barron & Co, Ltd.
A number of possible scenarios await this over grown cheese cutter in nice enough wooden cabinet.
One of which is to dispose of it. Where on earth does one start with that?
Can it be worth anything? I was wondering about emptying the box and making it more interesting for life in the modern world, like maybe a domestic internet station for downstairs and visitors. LCD screen in middle of upper panel and keyboard where the erm,... keyboard is! ;O)
[1] is probably best avoided
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

I remember a long time ago that there was a competition - either on TV or at a fete, can't remember now - where teams were given a challenge to see who could fit a piano through a letterbox, or some other smallish opening. I think there may have been a charity element to the challenge.
Thus a bit of fun can be had with something like a piano that is beyond its useful life. You end up with a pile of small bits which are then easy to dispose of.
PoP

Just don't try smashing a piano unless all the strings have been slackened off first -- the force across a piano frame is very large and presents a serious hazard if you are just going to lay into the thing with a hammer or similar...
--
Andrew Gabriel

You think that someone like me has never tried such a thing?
The frame cracked with the first sledgehammer blow - the strings just slackened themselves off as the lump of cast iron relocated itself by a few cm.
As long as you're not standing on top of the strings, or in the line of fire, where can a lump of cast iron actually go when it's attached to almost 200 strong strings?
What IS dangerous is the long screws - they can make a nasty hole in your foot of you happen top be wearing flip flops when you walk on one which is pointing upwards
--
geoff

It can fire fragments sideways. This wouldn't stop me doing it, but I'd watch for chunks and not stand in front.
On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:55:36 +0100, Andy Dingley wrote:

I think I would stand in front, ie have the piano wires between me and the frame.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

No, you'd lie the piano down on it's back wouldn't you and hit it from (what would have been) above wouldn't you
--
geoff

"PoP" wrote | Gnube wrote: | >One of which is to dispose of it. Where on earth does one start with | >that? | I remember a long time ago that there was a competition - either on TV | or at a fete, can't remember now - where teams were given a challenge | to see who could fit a piano through a letterbox, or some other | smallish opening. I think there may have been a charity element to the | challenge. | Thus a bit of fun can be had with something like a piano that is | beyond its useful life. You end up with a pile of small bits which are | then easy to dispose of.
It would be more fun to make it a condition that the team can reassemble the piano afterwards into a playable condition.
Perhaps a catflap rather than a letterbox would make it a little more reasonable.
Owain
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:24:52 +0100, PoP

Thanks for the idea, but I reckon the wood is worth having and by the time it fitted through a letter box, it wouldn't be!

I wonder how one gets at and rid of the wires and metal frame bit? The piano wire itself should be usable assuming that is literally what the strings are (?)
Actually, are they? Is Piano Wire an accurate name? Or is it a wishful thinking legendary urban myth type name?)
What will unwind the tension from them to unstring such a beast - which end do you start - low notes or high notes? Middle? <shrug>
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

That's true :-(
Even with an upright ...
Mary

Well, not an expert in such matters, but is it playable? If it has a metal frame then it may be possible to tune it properly and therefore it could be worth something.
If it's a wooden framed model then perhaps it won't have retained much musical value, so unless it's a collectable name (Broadwood et al) then it's value is probably negligable.
You may get some nice, well seasoned wood out of it for projects if you decide to break it up...
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:33:56 +0100, RichardS wrote:

Definitely. Some hefty bits of timber in a piano, though they are probably only a close grained softwood rather than anything exotic.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Talking DIY here (of course) Tuning a piano isn't difficult, tuning it well is a little harder. You have to slightly overtune each peg and it relaxes back. You should find the average tuning and tune around that, trying to overtension the strings to bring it up to concert pitch is liable to stress the frame and it will take a long time to settle down. Where you have groups of three strings, if you tune them all to the exact same pitch, you'll end up with a very dead tone, and then there's the even tempered scale ...
It's a challenge though, if you have a bit of patience - a bit like plastering a wall

More important is the state of the soundboard and whether it's cracked or not

It burns well
--
geoff

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:52:38 +0100, "Paul C. Dickie"
Does not really sound like our sort of thing to be honest, we're not that posh! ;O)

;O)
Oh how awful, I expect!? ;O)
Well it's iron by the looks of it.
Now what? <shrug>
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Play light music on it for 24 hours. It'll then be easier to move.
Rob Graham

Why not a moving tune
--
geoff

naf> Anyone have any advice or tips for moving a babu grand piano 120 naf> miles.
You need a fat bloke and a thin bloke both with bowler hats.
--
Mail me as snipped-for-privacy@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_
|<

Or two tea-drinking chimpanzees. "Dad, dad, do you know the pianner's on me foot?"...
--
Tim Mitchell