DIY Gadgets

It wasn't on John Peel's - my contemporary :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Phil, that's the best thing I've seen for a long time, thank you very much.

I'll get out the needles later.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Have you made yourself a mobius strip yet?

Take it one dimension at a time

Reply to
raden

Who, me?

I did it at primary school, umpty five years ago ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Chris J Dixon" wrote | >They're for buying as presents, so we get given things at | >birthdays and christmases about which we can say "thank you | >dear, that will come in useful" without being too dishonest. | So, what really useful stuff should we have on our Xmas lists? | My usual problem is that if I want it and it is affordable, I've | probably bought it, otherwise it is too expensive for a present.

There are always things which wear out or get used up. The ready-made gift bags for wine bottles fit big tubes of sealant etc well. Can one ever have too many multi-compartment storage boxes for screws etc. A new boilersuit with the recipient's name embroidered on makes a thoughtful gift, or even just a nice new tea-mug for the workshop.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Must stop reading Usenet at 3 in the morning. Took me about three attempts at that before I realised you weren't suggesting anything like what I thought you were suggesting.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Good one

Oh yes. It might not be too bad if they were used ...

He already has about half a dozen and there's no room for more.

NONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!! Too many mugs already.

The sealant/filler etc. suggestion is good although boring.

Spouse has already had his, well in advance. A one-to-one day course in flint knapping. Brilliant!

Useful? Well ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Didn't realise there was a market in holding flints to ransom!

Reply to
Set Square

Mammoth peeling or musket shooting ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Wish I'd thought of that!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The former, a large hand axe. Going to be right useful, innit!

Also a beautiful leaf arrow head and several frighteningly efficient blades.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Set Square" wrote | Mary Fisher wrote: | > Spouse has already had his, well in advance. A one-to-one day | > course in flint knapping. Brilliant! | Didn't realise there was a market in holding flints to ransom!

I wonder what it is about people from Flint that make them so eminently flint knappable.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They're Welsh.

Nuff said.

Oh - sorry ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote | "Owain" wrote | > I wonder what it is about people from Flint that make them so eminently | > flint knappable. | They're Welsh. | Nuff said. | > Owain | Oh - sorry ...

That's all right, bach, I hate the Welsh I do, bleeding useless Taffies innit. What have they ever given the world, laver bread and Aled Jones look you :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Try cutting it along the middle - it just gets twice as big.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

We were taught all the tricks, I seem to remember ending up with linked circles on one occasion but a) I could be wrong (it has been known) and b) if I did I've forgotten how!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I love laver bread. Can do without the other.

One of the briefest sketches on I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue was when a clip of the brat's snowman song was cut very short by the sound of a shot. I thought my drawers would never dry ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My 8 year old has now been playing with Mobius strips for the past half hour or so...fascinated!

Reply to
Bob Eager

This year's top xmas gift........a mobius scalextrix track. Hours of amusement for all.

Reply to
James Hart