Distributors of surge protection equipment required

Slightly off topic;

I am looking for a supplier of good transient suppression equipment and a overvoltage protection unit. My parents are living out in a rural part of spain and are having problems with the mains killing electronic equipment. Yes I do know of Farnell, but I was wondering if there was anywhere cheaper?

Thanks

Reply to
James Salisbury

Ebuyer.co.uk - there are a number of vendors that do 'connected equipment warranties' - if the equipment on it dies due to a spike, they replace it the damaged equipment.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I can think of two technologies that actually work. One is a UPS with batteries where the mains charges the batteries and the batteries power an invertor.

The other is a CVT - constant voltage transformer.

surge arrestors can only cope with short duration spikes - and most electronic equipment with SMPS can cope with those anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Example of protectors for short duration transients:

each case, a short and dedicated earthing connection is essential for proper operation. A dedicated earthing wire that must be even separated from other wires so as to not induce transients onto those other wires.

Overvoltage protectors, such as a UPS, > I am looking for a supplier of good transient suppression equipment and a

Reply to
w_tom

What about a UPS which treats an overvoltage the same as an undervoltage (i.e. switches to batteries on overvoltage)?

Reply to
Bob Eager

How do you know the problem is 'surges'? I ask because most times I hear that, it actually isn't. Are you getting failures at lightning strikes?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

See what Watford Control Instruments, have to suggest, afair.

Not cheap, but your problem isn't cheap anyway.

Reply to
Tony Williams