Dishwasher installation & foil lining of surrounding woodwork

I remember seeing some foil type stuff years ago which they (not sur

who 'they' are) say you should fix to the underside of the worktop (an I think the side cupboards) to protect from the steam/heat.

My question is: Is this required or advised these days especially wit new and much more efficient dishwashers?

I'm installing a new Bosch built-in jobbie (model no. SGV53E03) ove the next week which, being a reasonable good make, I assume should no heat up the surrounding woodwork like a flame thrower, but who knows.

Any one got one of these installed or any advise

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

I don't have a dishwasher as hand washing dishes is one of my favourite activities.

Why not foil it anyway to be on the safe side?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

When I installed the maple timber work/counter tops in my kitchen I was advised by the retailer to install (your) reflective foil to the under-surface of the work tops above every heat-producing device ... this was effectively the under-counter fridge and the dishwasher. The gas-hob didn't require one as its heat 'goes upwards'. Considering the cost was trivial in comparison to the timber work-tops, I took his advice! No experience of operating these devices without the foil (sticky-back) installed.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Our dishwasher used to be under the thick mdf or chipboard - something nasty - counter top (we were given it). The counter didn't suffer at all.

The machine was moved to underneath the ss draining board, which gets warm when the dw's on.

I don't think any steam is emitted except through the pipe and the dry heat hasn't affected the mdf/chipboard.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The foil is useless as a heat protector..its there to stop steam and condensation getting at the woodwork.

If the area is well enough ventilated, forget it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher