Dimplex Night-Storage Heater: change thermostat?

Hi,

Would love to know if anybody's "been here, done that" with an ol Dimplex Night-Storage Heater, circa 1986.

Mine's dead. (Most unfortunate at the start of autumn.) There's ver slight warmth in the external casing in the area directly above wher the thermostat is concealed. I've opened the heater by taking off th front panel and had a look at the thermostat. It seems a very simpl affair and I suspect it's function is to stop the current running int the heater when one of the narrow metal plates in the thermostat get so hot it bends away from a neighbouring plate and therefore breaks th current. How soon or late in the Economy 7 power period (1am - 7am? the circuit is broken depends, I think, on your turning the knob which, I think, moves the live metal plate away from or closer to th neighbouring plate.

I've tinkered with the plates, bending the metal etc., but it's made n difference.

Is it possible to replace these thermostats?

Is it likely that the fault is elsewhere inside the heater? Does th element in a night-storage heater easily break? (I'm not sure if the are strong bars or delicate thin wires.)

Any help or comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks

-- iolo

Reply to
iolo

It sounds as if the only thing that is certain is that the heater doesn't work. This could be due to any of a number of reasons - of which a thermostat fault is but one - and probably not the most likely. Other possibilities:

  • Off-peak time clock not working
  • Fuse blown
  • Wiring fault
  • Element failed

If you have an electrical test meter, you can work logically through these possibilities and find out what is what.

With the heater disconnected from the mains, check the continuity of the:

  • fuse
  • thermostat
  • heating element

If they are all ok, make sure that the heater is actually being supplied with mains when it should be, by measuring the voltage across its input connections.

Reply to
Set Square

Just to add that it's possible to replace just about anything in these heaters. I've replaced thermostats a couple of times - look for a service agent at

in order to acquire the part. From memory of the innards everything is fairly sturdy, although everyone advises to take care with the porcelain connector blocks.

Good luck Mike

Reply to
Michael Atkinson