Dimmer switch wattage

I've just replaced a light fitting that now has seven 60w bulbs in rather than the one 100w - my dimmer switch is rated 250w - I assume as the lights are presumably wired in parallel this is ok - or should I look for a higher loaded dimmer switch? FWIW it works fine making no noise to suggest it's overloaded.

TIA

Buzby

Reply to
Buzby

Err, 7 x 60w = 420w, so it *is* overloaded

wait for the noise of the fire service's sirens ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

420w, he must have a big house! Either that or its one of those strange people that dim their 420w to give out the light of 100w instead of replacing the 60s with 25s.

If you dim bulbs they still consume most of their power rating, so using a dimmer with this will cost you silly money, plus heat your house up all summer. As an example, a 500w bulb dimmed to the output of a 40watter eats 300w.

If you had 100w there before, you're unlikely to need more than 250w.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Simple maths. What is the total load now? 7 * 60 = 420W

Is this total load greater than the rating of your dimmer switch (250W), yes, therfore it is is overloaded.

It may well work but will get hotter than designed and either fail early, become a fire hazard, so hot as to burn someone who touches it or all three.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have you heard of global warming?

Hint: 420W of bulbs in your lounge is as obscene as a Range Rover Sport in Chelsea.

Of course it isn't. Did you actually go to school?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks for that.

Having actually looked at the bulbs, as opposed to being told what they are by SWMBO, they are in fact 25W.

On the upside I've learned something new today.

Cheers

Buzby

Reply to
Buzby

Ive got a total of 500W in mine and its still not enough for 30 sq meters...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My lounge uses 22W and is too bright. It is much smaller, though. Most of my rooms get by on 15W, except the kitchen, which has a gas guzzling 116W, but is very well lit under the cupboards (4x16W + 30W).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

I have nearly that in my living room. The difference is that I don't have them all on at the same time! Generally there's only a couple of

20W reading lamps and a couple of 40W uplighters.
Reply to
Guy King

Ok, so 175W won't overload your dimmer, but others have pointed out if you run them dimmed, you'll likely still be paying more than for having a single larger bulb at full brightness. That said, the only room of the house where I don't have CFL lamps is the lounge where I have a dimmer+filament, the only place I find I need it adjustable ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

1465 watts worth in mine. On eight circuits. But rarely all on together.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)