differing strengths of cyanoacrylate ?

When I first bought cyanoacrylate glue in the 70s from West Hyde Developments it was amazing, sticking things fast & well. It was truly magical. :)

Over the years of buying equivalents from stationers and sheds I've felt that it lacked efficacy and had almost given using it.

But, when buying the well-mentioned IR thermometer from Maplin recently I made up the order with their BondLoc brand of cyanoacrylate. I've just had cause to use it and it's again the amazing stuff I remember from years back.

Are there differing strengths of 'superglue'?

Reply to
Si

Yes - and the prevailing weather conditions.

This is based on the fact that way back around 1998, I was in control of UPVC manufacturing and fitting teams and because we were getting problems with superglues not sticking, I got landed with a three week investigation as to why - and had to write a damned report about it.

From memory, it turned out that quality was a factor on "strength", along with not applying a catalyst to the UPVC materials prior to 'gluing up' in cold weather conditions - rather than how it was used by the operatives.

Yes, the material was changed to better quality and the catalyst used in cold weather conditions.

NB: This may well have changed now mind as I have not been involved with this sort of thing for some seven years now.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

The table at gives a range of strengths for different cyanoacrylates. The strength seems to depend on the chemical base and less for the odourless versions.

Reply to
Stuart O'Donnell

Wow my question was dumb! Thank-you both for your responses. Maybe I'd switched to buying the odourless version over the years though I don't know why as I like the smell of cyanoacrylate. :)

That site recommends storing it in a freezer for long life. Can I just put an unopened bottle in the freezer or is it likely to expand & explode?

Reply to
Si

I don't. Gives me asthma for days. I still use it tho ;-)

Don't think so. Freezing point is, I suspect, well below freezer temps.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I hadn't noticed that effect. :) (As a teenager I was able to get out of doing things I didn't want to by drinking some orange/lemon squash concentrate - the tartrazine/E102 would have me wheezing for several hours.)

Ta - freezing it is then. :)

Reply to
Si

Wish mine lasted long enough to warrant it..get through a small bottle per model plane, usually.

And then sand most of it off later ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Pah - Rod has six different superglues

That's what british champs are made of

Reply to
geoff

I keep mine in a cool place, but I once (a fair few years ago) accidentally dropped a few drips on a heated soldering iron, my eyes started stinging and streaming it was quite a nasty experience, I assume it was some sort of cyanide gase being given off.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No, its not cyanide, but boy does it irritate.

Even the set stuff will produce it if you e.g. grind it with a dremel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher