Difference between single-pole and double-pole socket

What are the differences between them? How can I tell the difference by looking at them? For normal domestic installation. can I use either (single-pole being cheaper)? TIA

Reply to
Alec

Poles referring to switching of live only or live and neutral. Look for the words 'double pole' on the socket. I would recommend using double pole, although single pole will be fine. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Double pole is compulsory for certain applications - bathroom cutoffs, hot water tank heaters, central heating controls (I believe - can't see why) and a few others.

Reply to
G&M

Switches yes, sockets no. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Those, surely, are hard wired so you're talking about an isolator switch. With something that's plugged in you isolate it by unplugging it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

???? What's a single pole socket?

Reply to
usenet

A socket with single pole switching. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

It refers to the switch built into the socket. Most sockets you buy now have double pole switching that switch the neutral as well as the live. They are only a few more pence, so you might as well buy them. You'll increasingly find they come with two earth terminals, too. When wiring these up on a ring, you should put one earth wire into one terminal and the other into the other. This means that if an earth terminal on the circuit should become loose, there is always an alternative path to earth. Different earth terminals should be used at the consumer unit, too.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Just fitted some MK Logic ones I got in TLC and I expected to see these two earth terminals .... but they didn't have them.

Reply to
BillV

MK are a bit behind the times. Proper DP + HIE double sockets are only available with ugly outboard switches (K2746WHI). Their standard double sockets (K2747WHI) are DP, but not HIE. Most other manufacturers have normal DP + HIE, available. I use Crabtree, which are so equiped.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"Dave Plowman" wrote |G&M wrote: | > Double pole is compulsory for certain applications - bathroom | > cutoffs, hot water tank heaters, central heating controls | > (I believe - can't see why) and a few others. | Those, surely, are hard wired so you're talking about an isolator | switch. With something that's plugged in you isolate it by | unplugging it.

The objection to a SP-switched socket in these circs is that someone switches off at the socket without unplugging, thinks it's isolated, then Bang! Ouch! Yarrooo! finds it isn't.

But I agree they should all be hardwired.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If someone isn't capable of keeping line and neutral wired correctly, would you trust them not to have the earth wired through one of the two poles on an isolating switch? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman