Difference between single-pole and double-pole socket

What are the differences between them? How can I tell the difference by looking at them? For normal domestic installation. can I use either (single-pole being cheaper)? TIA
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:51:00 -0000, "Alec"

Look for the words 'double pole' on the socket. I would recommend using double pole, although single pole will be fine. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Double pole is compulsory for certain applications - bathroom cutoffs, hot water tank heaters, central heating controls (I believe - can't see why) and a few others.

..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

???? What's a single pole socket?
--
Chris Green

On 20 Feb 2004 09:43:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

It refers to the switch built into the socket. Most sockets you buy now have double pole switching that switch the neutral as well as the live. They are only a few more pence, so you might as well buy them. You'll increasingly find they come with two earth terminals, too. When wiring these up on a ring, you should put one earth wire into one terminal and the other into the other. This means that if an earth terminal on the circuit should become loose, there is always an alternative path to earth. Different earth terminals should be used at the consumer unit, too.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

earth terminals .... but they didn't have them.

MK are a bit behind the times. Proper DP + HIE double sockets are only available with ugly outboard switches (K2746WHI). Their standard double sockets (K2747WHI) are DP, but not HIE. Most other manufacturers have normal DP + HIE, available. I use Crabtree, which are so equiped.
Christian.

Those, surely, are hard wired so you're talking about an isolator switch. With something that's plugged in you isolate it by unplugging it.
--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

"Dave Plowman" wrote |G&M wrote: | > Double pole is compulsory for certain applications - bathroom | > cutoffs, hot water tank heaters, central heating controls | > (I believe - can't see why) and a few others. | Those, surely, are hard wired so you're talking about an isolator | switch. With something that's plugged in you isolate it by | unplugging it.
The objection to a SP-switched socket in these circs is that someone switches off at the socket without unplugging, thinks it's isolated, then Bang! Ouch! Yarrooo! finds it isn't.
But I agree they should all be hardwired.
Owain

If someone isn't capable of keeping line and neutral wired correctly, would you trust them not to have the earth wired through one of the two poles on an isolating switch? ;-)

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.