Detail or Palm Sander

Hi all. I'd like to hear your opinions on the merits of a detail (triangular..ish) against a palm sander. And hear your recommendations. I will be using it on a mahogany door frame to prepare for varnish.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Invest in a Fein Multimaster.

This is the perfect tool for the detail work and mouldings etc.

Then go for a half sheet sander for the flat surfaces. A palm sander is OK, but I think that a better finish can be achieved with a larger sanding area. Do go down through the paper grades, though.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Regarding some of the attachments for the FM. Can any of the saw attachments be used for cutting skirting in situ?

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur 51

Absolutely. This is one of the best features. You can cut very finely and accurately in quite awkward places.

While you could use the Multimaster for sanding the surface of the door, I think that something with a larger area will give a better result. The Multimaster has triangular sanding head as one of its options but is only about 50mm across.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I brought the dewalt version of both.

The detail sander will get the corners, but is useless on large areas, and will eat the sand paper.

The palm sander will get the larger areas, but not the corners.

Neither will do fiddlie details in the wood.

Rick

Reply to
Rick