Demolition - and demolition is DIY related

Just a heads up for those that might be interested

Sunday 8pm BBC2

ARW

"attempts to bring down the cooling towers", did they have problems?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Shirley a man has better things to do on a Sunday evening than watch dumb dumb television?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

How do you know that it is dumb television?

Reply to
ARW

Because apart from the news can't remember seeing any intelligent television. I'll stand corrected if need be.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

The news really isn't intelligent tv these days.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Gotta do something while the girlfriend's doing the ironing.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

?Well, the point is that demolition is quite good fun to watch of course. Quest occasionally have series about it. The biggest problem for many is the fact that some structures were not built exactly to the available plans and so are either stronger or weaker in certain places than they ought to be, resulting in things falling the wrong way or just becoming unstable and dangerous but not coming down completely. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

It's as good as it gets.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Fred wouldn't have had any problem. Chop a hole out of the bottom with a kango, prop it up with sawn up telegraph poles, surround the telegraph poles with old tyres, sling a couple of cans of petrol over the lot and get the wife to set fire to it with a bit of rolled up newspaper.

michael adams

michael adams

Yep and if you have better things to do it's a good idea to know it's on so you can record it or use catch-up TV.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In article , michael adams scribeth thus

For those who don't know or remember who Fred was;)

Enjoy...

tony sayer

I don't know how to do that, and I'm not interested in finding out.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

But surely television is a medium for expanding ones knowledge, You could even switch on the subtitles and improve ones spelling!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Then run away from the falling bricks shouting 'Did yer like tha?'

A real character, with real skills, sadly missed.

Not that I am aware of. Nothing was mentioned in the news.

Having seen a couple of cooling towers destroyed I have to say that it is good fun watching them fall (and a bit sad)

Reply to
ARW

Sad, yes. Less of a blot on the landscape, certainly.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

The result was OK, preview clip here:

I grew up looking out of my bedroom window at the cooling towers at Enfield. And watched them come down with a bang in the 70s.

Reply to
DJC

Beautiful structures.

And I was there to fix a promlem in the building on the right.

Who can spot the failure on this picture? I spotted it during an electrical inspection

ARW

H&S would now have a fit:-)

I had to supply a RAMS and wear safety boots, hi-viz and a hard hat to change a fused spur the other day for a hand drier in the gents. So that was a permit to work and an electrical permit to work (plus the visitor;s pass and induction). Thank f*ck I did not need the step ladders or it would have been a permit to work at heights. Use an angle grider and it's a hot works permit.

Plus another couple of forms to sign as I needed a swipe card and a set of keys for the plant room.

Reply to
ARW