Decking mistakes?

I have got a chippy in to do some decking and after the first afternoon I'v e had a chance to have a look at the framework. A couple of things don't lo ok 100%

First I was expecting the framework to have joists spaced at 400mm, the one s he's done so far are at 500m.

Secondly the joist are fixed directly to the brickwork on the house, I woul d have expected him to use some washers/spaces to keep the joist away from the brickwork, is that reasonable what he's done?

Lastly I asked him to have the deck approx 1500mm high and flush with the a doorstep from the lounge (so there would be no step down). He's made the f ramework 1420mm high and it looks like the deck will actually go under the step. Is this actually a better design or should I ask him to raise the fra mework 80mm? Should I have said "flush with the **top of the** step"? On re flection maybe the finish would be better if he didn't have to chop a secti on out of the piece decking that runs parallel to the step.

I don't want to be an awkward bugger for the sake of it but would appreciat e and advice.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Depends entirely on the size of timber e.g. 6x2 or 4x2 and the span.

I think you mean a ledger plate is attached to the house wall? If it's below the DPC that's fine, if above there should be a 10mm gap using spacers/washers.

Bloody hell - that's one hell of a step!

:-)

Did you mean 150mm?

I would always run the deck under a step whenever possible. Much neater.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bloody hell - that's one hell of a step!

:-)

Did you mean 150mm?

Ermmmmmmmmmmmmm Dave,

1500 less 1420 is 80.... 4".... Not much of a step at all
Reply to
Nthkentman

Dave,

The joists are 6x2s and extend approx 2m away from the house.

The joists are well above the DPC, the deck is approx 1.5m above the garden level.

So there were some steps straight down from the lounge. Instead the lounge will go straight onto the deck. So yes that's why the framework is 1420mm above the ground level and the top of the step is approx 1500mm.

A (bad) picture paints a thousand words, so you can sort of see what I mean here:

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

"deck approx 1500mm high and flush with the a doorstep from the lounge"

Is the step I meant!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If it were 150mm why would the frame be fixed to the house? Just put some bearers on the ground, etc.

Reply to
GB

The step is approx 1.5m above ground level. You can see here:

Charlie

Then 500mm is absolutely fine.

Aha! In that case the ledger plate should have a 10mm gap.

Now I understand. You don't get that many lounges 1500mm off the ground. :-)

Have you thought about planning permission?

I'm with you now :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

To stop it moving.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks Dave that makes sense, there are actually 3 ledger plates (2 on each side) so the chippy's probably not going to be happy about that :-(

Probably not enough :-(

Reply to
Charlie

So are there trapdoors to help you remove the rat traps? grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Just occurred to me, he may have arranged things so the surface of the boards will be exactly the same level as the lounge floor?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I notice around here nobody seems to ask for it for decking. Those who do add it to an extension and its all dealt with together. I see all planning apps here, though most of the domestic ones I'm not interested in and seem to just have householder in the type and are passed unless neighbours complain. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ermmmmmmmmmmmmm 80= 3 1/8" aprox.

Reply to
F Murtz

You've used the phrase "I was expecting" several times, this is a good example of why it's essential to go over these things *before* he starts work and make a written list of the "must haves" so you're both working off the same page. If you "were expecting" one thing and he says (before starting work) why it's better to do it a different way and give you the choice, then that's how it should work. It's all about communication, and you're paying him so you have the final word although it's worth taking his advice on board if he's giving it for good reasons and not just to save himself a bit of work. You're the boss.

I would think the best thing to do here is to get hold of him today and talk over your issues with him, there might be sound reasons why he's done things that you weren't expecting (and the finished job might look completely different to what you're picturing), but if it means the finished job will be different to the job you wanted and what you've asked him to do (for no good reason), then refuse to accept it and ask him to do the job you're paying him to do, or get lost. If something has actually been lost in communication somewhere and he's mistakenly made it too low or too high, then he'd probably appreciate you telling him before he screws all the boards down.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Mental guy,

Yep I completely agree with you.

A lot of the specs were confirmed and agreed in writing. I guess I didn't k now how far to go, if I started getting pedantic with the specs and telling the guy how to suck eggs there's a chance you get off on the wrong foot. B ut maybe you are right and you need to take that risk and be overly prescri ptive about how you want them to do their job. Personally I hate it when my clients do that :-)

One of the requirements was that all work would be done to current building regs, I guess I hope at least that will cover any really major issues that might come up.

I've always done all joists internal or external at 400mm spacing. So I wan ted to check here whether there would be any issues with the 500mm spacing he'd used. As Dave says, with 6x2 joists and a 2m span this is unlikely to be an issue.

Regarding the spacers on the ledger plate. I've build a deck before and yes you're right I just "assumed" this was normal and correct practice. This i s what all the Mickey Mouse build your own deck guides suggest.

Lastly I did specifying in writing that the deck should be flush with the s tep from the lounge. That's why asked whether I should have said "flush wit h the top of the step" to be clearer. As Dave pointed out maybe it's actual ly a better design to have the deck run under the step.

Appreciate your post. TBH I'm not a chippy so it's difficult to tell a carp enter how he should do his job properly. I spoke with him in the morning an d he didn't object to removing the ledger plate and adding spacers. I guess he realised he had cut a corner.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

So, it looks like your only problem is that if the planners say "no", then it all has to come down again.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

[...]

I attended a site meeting once on a new build house. The trenches had been dug, sewage pipes etc. inserted and all back filled by the time the archite ct arrived.

He lifted a manhole cover, reached in and rattled the pipes. They hadn't be en glued up. Made them dig them all up and do it right.

There were no more corners cut on that job.

Moral: Start as you mean to go on.

Reply to
fred