Damp Proofing Result

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

After a fair amount of rain, the walls seem a bit damper.

There are still salts coming out of one wall...

It's only about three weeks now but should I call this a failure and put it down to experience?

Can it really be condensation? I must say, the wall that's worst is right next to the boiler (I don't think it can be a leaking pipe as there was dampness in four different bits of wall).

Any ideas, folks?

Ed_Zep wrote:

Reply to
Ed_Zep

lol, patience not your strong suit? A 9" wall takes months to dry.

The dpc has

Reply to
meow2222

More bullshit from Mr "Lime Mortar is all you need."

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm sure there are cowboys out there but are you saying that the "other measures" you mention are what's really doing the job?

By the way, what are the "other measures"?

Reply to
Ed_Zep

I would call the dpc installer. Re-injecting the wall won't take them long and they'll probably do that much to keep the peace. Eventually you should get a refund if what they did hasn't solved the original problem but, on an internal wall, this has to be "rising" from somewhere. I suspect you might find the area under the tiles is damp too but they are acting as a barrier. I can't see condensation being an issue at this time of year in normal domestic conditions. I think maybe somebody needs to take a look under the floorboards at the nearest point. Did you say the kitchen bit was solid floor? You can always get a few opinions from local builders. That much would be free and somebody with local knowledge might identify the problem.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thanks, unfortunately it was a builder who did the DPC (Sovereign, injected into the mortar). Looked so easy anyone could do it but he also did the plastering (which I can't do).

The kitchen floor is solid, yes. I think that's the main difficulty.

Reply to
Ed_Zep

But it won't suddenly get wetter as soon as it rains will it?

Can you give us more accurate figures?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Lol, thats _really_ useful.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

content free I see. And I've never claimed "Lime Mortar is all you need."

How bout offering us some facts and logic. Or better still, going and reading up on damp.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ed with respect this has been explained right from the get go in this thread.

waterproof render/plaster on the inside so the damp doesnt get thru tothe plaster and become visible on the inside removing soil or other junk from against the base of the wall sometimes fixing rainwater goods too

NT

Reply to
meow2222

on the outside or inside? Inside, which is where the issue lies, no. Water movement inside walls is a very slow process. They take months to dry out.

If youre referring to your question about hydraulic lime, I didnt see what it had to do with the topic, namely the use of hydrated lime mortar in old properties. If you want to write another chapter on the many uses of lime, go for it. Or if all you want to do is whine, I guess you can.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I don't see how you can separate the two. Well, maybe *you* can because it suits your purpose, which appears to be spouting regurgitated dogma, but builders from the Romans onwards seem to have regarded pozzolans as integral part of lime chemistry.

Or if all you want to do is whine, I

Thank you headmaster but, with respect, questioning your divine pronouncements doesn't constitute whining.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Don't be so bloody patronising. For "this has been explained", why not try "in my humble opinion". We know it's a religion with you but in the real world nothing's that clear cut. You just spout dogma without offering any positive solutions.

Yeah, well that's really helpful considering this is an internal wall.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I don't want to get into this whole debate, but I thought I would relate to you the dampness issues in my house.

I live in a rather unusual house. It's built on a hill with the south facing side of the house at ground level. A hole has been dug and a retaining wall put in and the north-facing side of the house sits in this hole. So although no walls of the house have earth against them, the north side is below ground level and the lower floor is considerably cooler than the upper floor, especially on the north-facing side.

We have terrible problems with condensation in summer. Our bedroom is downstairs and clothes in the bedroom drawers start to get musty. Cold water pipes drip with condensation and the whole place feels damp. There are no problems in the winter as the central heating maintains a fairly even temperature over the house.

The solution is obvious - lots and lots of ventilation. I made some window bars and flyscreens for the sash windows. Leaving these open 24 hours a day in the summer has completely eradicated the problem. I had to lag the cold water pipes though!

I'm not sure if this is related to the OP's problem, but I can say with absolute certainty that condensation in summer can be a problem.

Cheers, Dave.

Reply to
Bodgit

As you say, an unusual location where the sun in summer isn't doing what the heating does in winter

Reply to
Stuart Noble

is it not true then? What I'm effectively suggesting is a reread of the thread may help, as it is all here.

Maybe good idea, but I'm not exactly being the humble type here. I like the back and forth because its a learning process.

Really. Have you read up on the scientific controlled attempts to create rising damp? The unclaimed prize offered to anyone that could find rising damp? The various writers that explain the mechanics of damp, dpcs and injected dpcs? Accounts of whole towns of houses sitting permanently in water that dont suffer rising damp? The companies that have been injecting water or other non-functional things into walls without complaint? The numerous buildings that have had damp problems cured without use of dpcs or waterproofers?

Its not that I'm not wiling to listen Stuart, I am, but youre not offering anything solid enough to change minds here.

Given those things I just listed its very hard to see how the dpc injection industry can be taken at face value. I've yet to see any solid evidence at all that shows the diagnosic methods or practices of damp course injecters to be realistic, the treatment to be effective, the trading policies to be reputable, or the whole industry to be of any real value. I have OTOH seen plenty of reasons why what they routinely do is simply pseudoscience.

I did offer solutions, and explained them iirc. No use whining. If you have some sound evidence that rising damp is common or that its cured by injecting dpcs, I'd love to see it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

so youre whining because I didnt write the book on lime, which is a pretty big subject. I see. YOU are welcome to write it if you want. Or to write on whatever area of it you choose. Why you think I _ought_ to run off and address anything you whine about I dont know.

And trying to back up your whines with puerile claims about my supposed motives.

No, but wheres the content here? Contribute something. Instead youre just whining that I'm not doing and saying the things you want me to. C'mon man, contribute.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The problem with "reading up on damp" is that most authors seem to have just copied whatever ballshit fits their own criteria,

just like you

-
Reply to
Mark

so you cant distinguish the fact and science based from the bs then? I didnt think it was that hard.

Reply to
meow2222

Im quite convinced you have never had any _actual_ experience with older houses, damp, or even using lime plaster. This is a typical past "fact and science" nonsense quote from you,

Were did you plagiarize that little gem from.

-
Reply to
Mark