damp problem/solution update

had thought damp at gable end was caused by raised garden bridging the external damp course

but removing earth in a trench along the wall had little effect

Borough Surveyor set me rights (all but built these houses as apprentice brickie)

the damp climbing the walls was because the plaster on the internal walls bridged the internal damp course

- the internal damp course varying from 1-1.5" below floor level to being almost level with it

removing the bottom 2" of plaster is having a dramatic effect on internal dampness

--

Gill Smith

If you need to plaster across it, use a scratch (base) coat of sand and cement with added waterproofer. Then you can use standard gypsom finish coat on top, and it will stay bone dry, even if the wall behind is damp.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm leery of any plaster in contact with the damp course

maybe I can patent an alternative!

--

Gill Smith

You've got a trench all round the house now? I'm doing this, and at intervals go quite deep, The water level is quite high at the moment, after rain. Is there lots of rainwater coming down a garden towards your house? More drainage, french drains ec, try to lower the water level. And keep monitoring the water level outside after rain etc. Get out there in the rain and see where it's going. [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

no, no

I've cut a little channel around the edge of a room with rising damp caused by the plaster sucking up mositure

--

Gill Smith

harry, you've conflated my post with someone else's

--

Gill Smith

Yes. Its classic.

You probably DO have pretty damp ground conditions though. Its sopping wet here. First day the farmer has been able to get a tractor ON the land to start spraying.

I went for a walk yesterday and the whole lower field I walk across by the drainage ditch was wheezing and popping and completely waterlogged.

And the pond has never been fuller. Clay lined and fed off the guttering/french drains.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I agree

I've found *one* cause of the damp

I intend to find others by a process of elimination following the various suggestions made here

--

Gill Smith