Cutting the back off a ceramic cistern lid?

Hi friends,

Our friends have recently moved into a new (to them) place and I have been helping them 'sort out' some of the little (mostly bodged by the PO) jobs.

One such (I noticed when in the bathroom making the toilet seat fit properly .. hinges on the wrong way round and most the screws loose ..) was that the ceramic cistern lid won't sit on the cistern properly?

This it turns out is because the PO tiled over the tiles (I personally hate that) and didn't allow room for the lid to go back properly ?

So, we (I) could either cut the back off the lid using? (diamond disk cutter on my angle grinder?)

or try to trim the upper layer tiles back using ?

or leave it as it is ... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I'd insist on that being done. apart from anything else it must be easier.

Why not take off the second layer of tiles?

Or both, the lower one might be damaged or simply horrid.

The window sill in our lavvy has an interesting cut-out. The house is 1937 and all the others on the estate had overhead cisterns but my aunt who lived here first wanted a posh low-level w.c. My godfather, a brilliant plumber, installed one for her but had to cut the sill to accommodate the cistern lid. The cut is off-set because the window isn't central in the wall but the w.c. is.

It's the original w.c., the waste is still connected to the outside pipe by a huge collar of lead.

Both Auntie Ann and Uncle Bill have shuffled off the wotsit but I think of them ever time I'm in the smallest room ... so what's done could have long lasting consequences. Tell your friends not to act in haste or future generations might hold it against - not them - you!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Or unscrew the cistern from the wall and insert spacers to alolow lid to = fit? (may be tight fit if close coupled but all you need is a quarter = inch)

Mike

Reply to
Mike John

Why not just move the cistern forward a bit?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

[T] Sorry Guys (and Gal) nearly missed the replies ;-(

It is close coupled and I'm not sure what sort of 'play' there is on these things if I was to try to move the cistern fowrard? On top of that it looks like the cistern is fairly well burried in both the layers of tiles round the sides and bottom? ;-(

It was suggested I might be able to trim the top layer of tiles back with a Rotozip tool and I was looking for an excuse to get one ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

What the hell are you waiting for? Christmas? ;)

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP