crimping tools

Hello,

I read the wiki section about crimping - very useful, thanks - and it said to use a ratchet tool to ensure the quality of the crimp. I have seen ratchet crimping tools that are colour coded for insulated crimps but I wonder, what are you supposed to use for non-insulated crimps? Is there a ratchet tool available for those, or do you have to use those multipurpose wire stripping, bolt cropping, pliers?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Ratchet tool. Same tool, just different jaws.

Vehicle Wiring Products are a good source for all this stuff.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You just need a different version of the tool:

the same idea, same ratchet, different jaw profiles.

Reply to
John Rumm

It really depends on what you mean by non insulated ones. There are thousands of different crimps for various purposes. If you mean the fairly standard car 1/4" etc spade connectors, I use the PR3 one on the page below which does a super job. But economies of production scale means it's much more expensive than a pre-insulated type.

Dave Plowman (News)

Stephen coughed up some electrons that declared:

the ones I have - Davico are a decent make and the tool makes a very convincing job of it.

HTH Tim

Reply to
Tim S

that I only saw tools for insulated crimps. I've never heard of VWP ltd before, so thanks for the recommendation. I will be using the standard 1/4" spades. Thanks again.

Reply to
Stephen

Thanks everyone. Sorry I didn't look hard enough, I could have sworn

If you are using the standard 1/4" 'lucar' connectors as used on car wiring then the above crimp tool produces a 'factory' perfect crimp, using the standard lucar 1/4" terminals, as sold by the likes of VWP. For other terminals which are similar but designed for single core mains wiring, others might be more suitable for less cost.

Basically crimping is a bit of a black art and there is no such thing as a 'one size fits all' crimping tool. And a badly made crimp is worse than useless. Better to use a screw or solder connection. But those aren't as good as a well made crimp connection.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)