Creda motor bearings

Our tumble dryer starting making odd noises today, traced the problem to the motor which I've stripped down and found one of the bearings is kaput.

Any suggestions where I could get the bearings from? Looks like they're just an interference fit onto the motor shaft?

Cheers,

Steve.

Reply to
my.tumble.dryer.likes.sp

snipped-for-privacy@m.for.tea presented the following explanation :

Look up bearing suppliers in the yellow pages. It might just be a standard size. Other than that, it will be a complete motor swap.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You might have to go to an industrial estate: they will often sell to retail customers but there might be a lower price limit e.g. a bearing might cost you £10.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

You could try

I've never used them - but they might have it.

Otherwise, look for bearing suppliers in the Yellow Pages, and hawk your old one round to a few in the hope of finding something to match. It's probably a generic bearing rather than something made *just* for tumble dryers.

Reply to
Set Square

They are pressed onto the shaft.

Reply to
EricP

You could probably press a new one on, using a piece of metal tube and a large G-clamp. A small puller would help to get the old one off. Otherwise, hold the bearing in a vice and tap the shaft out with a copper mallet.

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks for everyones advice. I took it to my friendly, local motor rewinder, who replaced the bearings (for a lot less than the 80 odd quid I was quoted for a replacement motor). The tumble dryer is now tumbling and drying once more.

Steve.

Reply to
my.tumble.dryer.likes.sp