Crap House of the Week

Page 2 of 3
"John Rouse" wrote | Owain writes | >My first thought when they showed the cabling was that the building | >had been wired for dynamiting. | Why on earth didn't he install some sort of network, with a single | cable and each device/sensor addressable?
He did at one point mention that all the light switches etc did have little chips in them.
It'll all be obsolete by the time he gets round to installing it, anyway.
Owain

Wireless technology appears to be taking over. But having a cat 5 back to a patch panel is a good insurance and no interference from outside.
IMM wrote:

was a bit worried about upsetting the data systems though.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:16:55 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I think he was more worried that the data systems would interfere with the hearing aid loop.
John Armstrong wrote:

Think about it, which system is designed to emit :-(
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

^^^^^^^^
Exactly, so if the data system isn't well designed and installed it will emit when it shouldn't and play merry hell with the hearing aid loop.
Andrew
writes

That's what the guy who built Greenside thought, and how long did that last? Seventy years; it's now been demolished.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/critic/feature/0,1169,825480,00.html
Cloud 8 will be seen for the monstrosity it is and demolished within 100 years.

So which is best; having a new build every 100 years or so or as dick head suggests, keeping a crew of repairmen in work for 200 years?

Given the rate at which new houses are being built at present, and the number of new houses needed (because apparently hardly anyone can stand to share any more) every house built today needs to last at least 400 years just to support the replacement rate.
--
SAm.

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:35:33 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@ssrl.org.uk (Sam Nelson) wrote:

There's a flaw in the logic somewhere......
If people aren't sharing then the likelihood is that there will be less people coming forward in the years ahead to require a new house.
Unless you are suggesting that these "non-sharing" individuals get up to hanky-panky with "non-sharing" friends! ;)
PoP

Uh no. They share, produce kids then get divorced (if married in the first place). So whilst you once spent your entire adult life in 0.5 of a dwelling you now have a fair chance of spending 50% of it on your own. IOW 100 people = 50 couples, now 100 people = 30 couples + 40 single person with/without child(ren) households - same population, 40% more homes needed.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser

I suppose you like Mock Victorian then? How pathetic. No style no vision, no nothing a Philistine This house is brilliant.
size=2>&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; writes<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;If some decides to spend = this<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;money, giving employment and creating a wonderful house that will be<BR>&gt; there<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;for 200 years plus, they scorn this.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; That's what the guy who built Greenside thought, and how long did that<BR>&gt; &gt; last?&nbsp; Seventy years; it's now been demolished.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; </FONT><A href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/critic/feature/0,1169,825480,00.html "><FONT face=Arial size=2>http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/critic/feature/0,1169,825480,00.html </FONT></A><BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Cloud 8 will be seen for the monstrosity it is and demolished within 100<BR>&gt; &gt; years.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I suppose you like&nbsp; Mock Victorian then? How pathetic.&nbsp; No style no vision,<BR>&gt; no nothing a Philistine&nbsp; This house is brilliant.<BR>&gt; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I think "brilliant" is a little OTT but it's your view, so fair enough. To quote from the web site:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: white; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB; mso-fareast-language: EN-GB; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"></SPAN><FONT face=Arial size=2>'One neighbour had said "well, it's not my cup of tea but I have nothing to object to." </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The same person very kindly wrote a letter of unconditional support to the Council.'</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I think I would put myself in that&nbsp;camp. </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>It is true (IMHO)&nbsp;that 90% of modern home design is unimaginative and adds little to the visual environment and that there should be space (within proper planning controls) for houses of an innovative nature&nbsp;that challenge the normal design conventions&nbsp;in a civilized society (even if they get it wrong). This is such a house. From the owner's point of view it has clearly turned out to be economic madness, but it's his money.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><BR>-- <BR>Bob Mannix<BR>(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=

quote from the web site:
'One neighbour had said "well, it's not my cup of tea but I have nothing to object to." The same person very kindly wrote a letter of unconditional support to the Council.'
I think I would put myself in that camp.
It is true (IMHO) that 90% of modern home design is unimaginative and adds little to the visual environment and that there should be space (within proper planning controls) for houses of an innovative nature that challenge the normal design conventions in a civilized society (even if they get it wrong). <<<
What is wrong? That is subjective. To me what is wrong is characterless house built with only 6 foot between them.

out to be economic madness, but it's his money.

He could have done for a fraction by using other methods. Huf is one, and I can't underrated why he rejected Huf. Maybe he thought they were stock basic plan houses. They are very flexible. But it is his money, and I'm sure he will not loose on the deal. Individual houses like these command a high premium.
wrote in message <snip>

Had I said anything was wrong it would have been subjective. There was the word "if" in there and it was in a paragraph making a general point about innovative house building, not specific points about the Cloud8 house, which I had finished making. It is in the nature of innovation and progress that people get things wrong occasionally and that should be tolerated and learned from.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
Owain wrote:

It's in an 'area of outstanding natural beauty' so that shouldn't be a problem.
--
Toby.

Not too sure about that.
I'm told that the fields at the end of the road I live on are part of a AONB, and yet the council want to put 110 houses on it. If the council approve of it, who is going to stop it, that nice Mr Prescott ?
Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"

He has a good left hook.

Please post in plain ASCII text.