Cost of gas to heat upon a kitchen oven?

Approx how much gas gets used to heat up a ordinary gas cooker's oven? Approximately how much does it cost?

I need to run my oven for about 10 minutes to heat it up to Regulo 6. But I can't get a reading of gas used because my meter is so cronky.

Reply to
Pete Brown

Surely your meter can tell you this information, otherwise how are they going to bill you if it is not taking an accurate reading?

As the oven is not going to use a lot of gas to heat it up, the main numbers probably won't go up, but the part units should... When you are using gas, does a dial turn round?

If so, turn off any other gas appliances and count the number of turns in, say, a minute, then you know how much gas it is using per minute, then times this by the amount of time it takes to het up (assuming the oven does not modulate down as it gets near the set point!) then look at your last bill to see the calculation used, and the units the meter is in (Ft or m3) and work it out.

Different ovens of different sizes and amount of insulation levels are going to be different.

Reply to
Toby

I originally tried what you suggested but my gas meter doesn't seem sensitive enough to give an actual measurement for 10 minutes of gas. That's why I posted. Here's a pic of the meter:

dial on the right goes round about once for 10 minutes of gas to heat up the oven. However the digits don't advance.

I have no idea how to interpret the meter's reading. I think the pic above shows "9612.90" cubic feet. Is that right? Maybe the dial has to rotate 100 times to move this to "9613.00".

Reply to
Pete Brown

The printing below the maind numbers shows the max flow rate of 212 cubic feet per hour and the amount of gas per revolution of the dial

0.071 cubic feet.

14 times (more or less) 1/0.071 = 14.084.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just noticed the meter is in cubic-FEET.

If you suspect your gas bill is "3x what it should be" then check billing are listing your readings in cubic-FEET and not cubic-METRES. It is a not uncommon mistake and can go undetected for low-usage (E7) houses for years.

Reply to
js.b1

My gas bills always seem high so I checked this out.

The bill shows my readings as "imperial units". (Each imperial unit is equivalent to approx 32 kWh.)

Is an imperial unit the same as a cubic foot?

Reply to
Pete Brown

Thank you for the info. Can I check my understanding with you....

If one revolution of the dial is 0.071 ft^3 then 14 revs would be equivalent to 1 ft^3.

However, it looks as if the red digit is 0.1 ft^3. So wouldn't the red digit get advanced for every 1.4 revolutions of the dial?

PHOTO:

Pete Brown

Yes, it should.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, the red digit is 10 ft^3 and your meter is displaying 961290 ft^3. For the purpose of your gas bill the red digit and the static zero are ignored and the "units" are hundreds of cubic feet

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Oh yes, I was wrong previously. (Mitigating circumstance is that I've not lived in a place with a mains gas supply for > 10 years so the nitty gritty details of billing is but a hazy memory, so only sending the 100's of cuft figure had slipped my mind).

So the red digit should advance one for every 140 revs of the dial.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

100 cu ft. The white digits on the meter. The red ones are ignored.
Reply to
<me9

This is important guys!

I want to know how much extra it costs to warm all my ready meals in the oven (with good results) rather than using the microwave (with crap results). :-)

If the dial goes round 140 times for each time the digit advances then it's no wonder my gas meter was useless when I tried to see how much gas it took to heat up the oven.

I'm back to square one. I need to ask if someone in the UK with a decent gas meter can give me an approx answer to that.

My cooker takes about 10 minutes to get to Regulo 6 which is the setting I usually use. What's it costing me?

Reply to
Pete Brown

entirely depends on heat lost into the room, how much that replaces heat the CH would have been generating otherwise (at probably lower efficiency) and how burnt you like your prepackaged garbage to be, I suppose.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Didn't you say it took 1 revolution of the dial for one oven heating?

That is 0.017ft^3 gas consumed, find your bill and do the maths.

Simples.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Too many variables, such as the heat of the room in the first place etc. But if you don't enjoy the end result from a micro-wave, it's costing you too much anyway, IMO!

Reply to
Sacha

I *thought* it was almost one revolution because the digit hadn't changed. Now I realise it could have been anything up to 140 revolutions.

I would have to watch the rotary dial like a lynx throughout the heating up period to get a reading. Ughhhh!

Reply to
Pete Brown

I am looking for an approximate figure.

I don't need it accurate to three significant digits. Within 50% or

100% is good enough to give me an idea of cost so I can compare it to the microwave.

:-)

Reply to
Pete Brown

For the first 10 minutes or so it will be working at full rate.

Why not look up the rating in the handbook and calculate from there? You should have the handbook and service manual if it was (correctly) installed and commissioned by a corgi (now gas safe).

I'm sure plenty here can do the calcs if you can't.

Reply to
<me9

Well, an electric oven is rated at about 3kW, so I would expect a gas oven to provide roughly the same amount of energy. Check what your supply charges per kW*Hr and then work it out for the time (10 mins, as above or maybe 20 for a ballpark figure) or however long it takes until the thermostat turns down the heat. I'd reckon, mebbee 1kW*Hr to get up to 200 Celcius ~ say about 10p.

Reply to
pete

You have a U6 imperial meter which records gas usage in cubic feet. The white digits are hundreds of cubic feet and the red digits are tens of cubic feet so the moving red counter will revolve 10 times to increment the white digit by 1.

The test dial records 1 cubic foot of gas per revolution and this is used to determine the gas rate of the appliance under test.

Using a stop watch accurately time how long it take to complete one revolution of the dial. It is difficult to gas rate an oven because it could get up to temperature before the end of the test and modulate down to a lower flame and perhaps this is why it took around 10 minutes to revolve the test meter.

I turned my oven to 9 and left the door open to test and recorded

405seconds.

Divide 3600 (seconds in 1 hour) by time in seconds for 1 complete revolution gives gas rate in cubic feet.

3600 multiplied by 1035(calorific value of gas) divided by time in seconds for 1 rev of dial multiplied by 3412(number of BTu/h in 1 kW) gives kW

Bit mind numbing those sums so I just looked up my gas rate chart and came up with 8.9 cubic feet and 2.7 kW per hour. When you have calculated your consumption in kW then look up your most recent gas bill to see your supplier charges you per kW and divide that by your warm up time.

I need a sleep now.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith