Cooling upstairs of a house

If your house has a ridge vent then just leave the loft hatch open during hot spells. The chimney effect will allow hot air in the loft to escape though the ridge and draw up warm (but cooler) air from the upstairs. Works fine for me. If your house is modern and the roof is lined with a 'goretex' membrane instead of 'bitumen felt' then it won't have a ridge vent, so this probably won't work.

Plant a plum tree with a medium rootstock on any south facing wall and train it up the wall. This will provide free fruit in summer and the leaves will stop the suns rays hitting the wall. In winter the leaves fall off thereby allowing solar gain on a sunny winter day. Be careful not to plant it too near any drains though.

I had this back in the 80's. Bought it from someone called solar-X northern in Manchester and applied it myself. The downside is that on a gloomy winters day it cuts out a lot of light.

Reply to
Andrew

If I went that route I'd probably look a switched mode psu to get what is needed. Assume they can be found.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Interesting this week with US visitors using Apple chargers. The ipad

3/4? unit run from 240V could not run and charge a running ipad. Run from a low impedance source at 110V 50Hz (3KVA) the charger went into "I'm sick" mode aned stopped working at all. Run from a 35W wallwart 110V supply it managed to charge a non running ipad. The 12W and 10W versions were equally poor in performance. Bit of a mystery. All genuine Apple products(ugh!)
Reply to
Capitol

What if you're a single-floor flat with no upstairs to draw the warm air into?

jgh

Reply to
jgh