Cooler light bulbs?

Yes. Once the arc is established, supplementary cathode heating is not required. (However, it does increase the cathode life slightly, but uses more energy too.)

Cold Cathode fluorescents don't rely on the cathode getting hot. It would have to get to bright orange temperature before it started becoming a thermionic emitter. They just operate with a higher cathode fall voltage to get the electrons out of the metal (which is less efficient than the conventional thermionic cathode tubes). This also disloges the cathode material, but the electrodes are normally formed from the inside of a cylinder, which means most of the disloged material ends up sticking to some other part of the cathode and it doesn't wear out very fast. The electric field inside a cylindrical electrode doesn't increase as much, which also prevents the ions and electrons picking up large energy just before they impact the surface. CCFLs normally have a much longer life than conventional fluorescents because of this. (The tiny ones used in scanners have much simpler cathodes and a much shorter life.)

Circuitry designed for dimming fluorescents will provide supplementary cathode heating at reduced arc current to ensure the cathode stays at thermionic operating temperature. (Mostly dimming ballasts provide the supplementary heating continuously regardless of the arc current.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

theyre compared to soft light bulbs, which have lower light output than standard GLS ones.

Unfortunately this dim practice is their downfall, as it has led to the popular perception that their light is inferior.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I have them in our bed side lamps and they are much better than standard lamps.

Steve Dawson

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

OK; Steve: lets parse your sentence: - I said they (CF lamps) are fine for situations were the lamp will be ON for 'ages' - you said that you use them at your bedside - implication: I only switch on the bedside lamps for short periods while you keep yours ON for longish periods. As the sayiing goes YMMV!

I've not heard of anyone using standard lamps by the bed sides. I agree with you that, for this purpose, bed-side lamps (either table-supported or wall-hung) are better than standard lamps.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

I think it took about three days after getting our first sprog home before deveoping a deep afection for dimmer switches; which got fitted all over the place ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

same is true for a 40w incandescent I find...

Reply to
John Rumm

You have a higher tolerance than me! 20W is about my limit...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You're a chef ? Or an exhaust mechanic ? Or ... ?

Reply to
G&M