converting single to triple socket

Not even remotely. Your two computers, LCD monitors and printers, scanners etc. will probably draw around 400W on average, which is less than 2A. Maybe a few more watts when running hard.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You can buy good quality 4-way trailing sockets. Duraplug, etc. But expect to pay rather more than for a cheap shed one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd guess switch on surge is the reason for the 13 amp fuse. 3 amp may be marginal. Provided the flex is capable of blowing a 13 amp fuse if damaged, etc, (and most are) then it's ok. The monitor will have its own fusing etc.

This doesn't take into account switch on surge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Seems so. I actually looked at the panel on the back of the monitor and it says 1.0A.

Oh well, at least I have been erring on the safe side all these years - better that than erring on the dangerous side!

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I've now scrapped the idea of the socket converters and will just get one of those 10-way adapters instead.

cheers,

d.

Reply to
davek

Nah. It is because it is a standard "kettle" lead, which is strong enough to need a 13A fuse. The fuse is only to protect the lead itself. The equipment will have its own fuse if it can't cope with 13A protection.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I would suspect that the properties of a 3 amp fuse would be such that it wouldn't blow under short overloads such as surges at switch on.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Don't link everything to one socket leaving the switch on that socket to actually turn everything on. For computer equipment there is no problem as most have to be coaxed into life gently - or hardly draw any power anyway!

Reply to
John Cartmell

The ones I bought from B&Q are configured as one dual gang plus one fused spur thereby getting round the regulations. Look for a fuse compartment somewhere in the faceplate, this fuse will only protect one of the three outlets. Apparently, it seems that a triple gang socket configured as one unit is illegal.

Grumble

Reply to
Grumble

Interesting, I just checked the Converter sockets which I bought from Toolstation, these are effectively a fused 3 gang extender. The fuse protects all 3 outlets. I think the Screwfix ones are the same. The B & Q version sounds like a more useful product.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

If somewhat against the spirit of the legislation. The thing is still capable of passing 3x13A and completely overloading the ring at a single point, even if it can deal with the current internally.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

And, of course, would contravene the regs if fitted on a spur.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I thought the triples and quads has integral 13A cartridge fuses?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The ones we were discussing appear to have a double socket plus fused third socket, IIRC.

If the fuse protects *all* the sockets, so the max demand is limited, then okay.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You could also look at

part number 330/7657

at

are nice little power strips which can be put in the corner between floor and skirting, seem to be very well made and the sockets are at a

45 degree angle so easy to use. The profile from the end is somewhat like a set square.
Reply to
etillet

But surely you wouldn't be allowed under the regs to connect the B&Q one to an existing unfused spur.

Reply to
etillet