connecting cables in ceiling void?

When I do a final install of ceiling lights LEDs with transformer. (just a temp hook up at the moment to test all is working)

Do all connections have to be in a junction box or can I just use block connectors.

I am talking mains 2 core cable then connecting another 2 core cable to it feed a 2nd LED. The LEDs transformer will also have to be connected to the mains 2 core cable. Hope I make sense.

Reply to
ss

Needs to be in a junction box, e.g.

Reply to
Andy Burns

OK thanks Andy.

Just to mention when I took out all the halogens all were connected with only block connectors :-(

Reply to
ss

Andy Burns wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Nice!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yep. I'd assume this has to be easy to access? Is it OK to use wago connectors in a bare junction box if it's going to be hard to access?

Reply to
RJH

You mean like this:

Then, yes, they are declared by the manufacturer as "maintenance free" meaning access is not required.

Reply to
Tim Watts

They do an "MF" version too

But gives no strain relief unlike the wagobox, link is to the "light" version which is designed for several cables at one end, and a flex at the other

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed.

There's also this one:

which is like the first, but a bit bigger and has spring terminals in (which I *believe* are actually made by Wago - certainly Wago have an identical looking set of contact blocks in their catalogue).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks for the input. I will have good access to the void as I am putting 2 x 17 cm square LED panels in. I am thinking best to use something with strain relief.

Reply to
ss

To replace loop-in-out ceiling roses I used these Ashley J804 boxes.

PeterC

Is there a requirement for the 12V connections to be in a junc box? (genuine question, not being argumentative)

Reply to
Chris French

Any power connection that's in a vulnerable place needs protection or a damaged one could start a fire. Its not just protection against someone touching them.

I would put them in a junction box so that there is nothing to burn in contact with the joint should it overheat. Its only a few pence.

Reply to
dennis

All fixed mains cables must incorporate a cpc (earth wire). The only exception is pendant drops to double insulated lampholders.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Covered please, it will save a lot of anguish in years to come when some unsuspecting person encounters the work and assumes its low voltage cos its chock blocks. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

And yet the surface mount lamps I have used on bad ceilings (very little height) came with a 2 core flex hard wired into the unit.

Not an uncommon state of affairs with the smaller lumineres, so a certain amount of common sense needs to apply.

They are actually designed for under cabinet lighting but there no practical difference in application (ceiling vs cabinet).

Personally, I'm going to chop all bar 4" of the flex off, crimp to 3 core flex or T+E[1] and heatshrink (I don't want to make a massive hole to push a JB into).

[1] depending on how hard to is to fish T+E from the conduit drop into the bay 2' away over to the hole where lamp is. If I have to use flex, this will be fed in conduit once in the loft space to a JB and jointed to T+E there.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, but that doesn't answer my question.

I wasn't asking is it a good idea, good practice or whatever., I was asking is it a requirement

Reply to
Chris French

Yes, it is a requirement. If not explicitly, then indirectly IMHO meeting the sections of the regs that state "good workmanship" and "appropriate to the environment". Now in some circumstances, you may argue that a naked choc block is OK, because you've screwed it down to the back of an electrical cupboard that is locked (or needs tools to access) and ideally has a sticker that says "live parts inside".

But for stuff rammed up into a ceiling, I would enclose for any voltage

- if nothing else, just to add some protection to the unsheathed conductors.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On a related matter, I have been installing a number of light fittings in m y daughters new house. Expecting to find loop in rosettes I have been surpr ised to find on all with the exception of one just a single T&E cable with switched live, neutral and Earth. As far as I know the loop in is not done at the switches like in our 1975 bungalow (though I have not had a look at any of the switch wiring). I find it hard to believe that individual JB's h ave been used as this seems a more expensive and time consuming method. My only thoughts on the wiring is that because it is a new build and super ins ulated is this used to avoid de rating the cable passing through the insula tion, so only the cable that feeds the individual light fittings passes thr ough any insulation?

The houses do seem to be almost kit built, decorative chimneys on some gabl e ends arrive assembled and are craned up and perched on the last two truss es the outer skin of brick work is then built up to them. Dormers similarly arrive assembled and heaved up on one of those extending fork lifts onto t he trusses.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Sure they are not done at the switch (look for a lone neutral choc-block terminal). I've seen this in a new-ish build recently.

Reply to
Tim Watts

One of the beautiful designs of the IET regs is that you seldom have to derate lighting cable to compensate for insulation.

Even 1.0mm T&E can carry 8A when fully surrounded with insulation.

Reply to
ARW