Workshop/Garage Heaters

Hi all,
What with the colder weather just around the corner, an old man's thoughts turn to keeping warm. There are various space heaters on the market. Electric ones are just too expensive to run and the only other alternatives seem to be propane or diesel types, but which is the best bet overall in terms of, well, everything?
ta, cd.
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:17:41 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Sorry, I meant paraffin or kerosene when I said 'diesel'.
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:17:41 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Sigh. I should also have said moisture is an issue here - would like as little condensation as poss without going 100% electric.

Vented propane or LPG fixes that problem.

I'll be the first to say insulation is the first thing to consider.
--
Adam

On 13/09/15 16:28, ARW wrote:

A dehumidifier might be worth considering as dry air feels less cold than damp air, and it will offset any output produced by an unvented burner.
On 13/09/2015 16:17, Cursitor Doom wrote:

What needs keeping warm? You or what a space heater heats (i.e. space)?
If it is you, consider infra-red. It is astonishing how warm you can feel with even a 150 watt red glow pointing at you. Lidl usually have some fairly inexpensive ones sometime around now.
--
Rod

says...

Anyone tried heated clothing?
Something like http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/heated-clothing-2490033-ocs-c/
Or since this is DIY
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-heated-clothing/
--
Sam

Haven't tried it yet, mainly because its not that cheap at all and my biggest problem is the cold arms and they mostly don't bother to heat the arms. Its easy to have a couple of fleeces that keep the chest warm enough, but that doesn't help with the arms and hands.

I have been tempted to try this route since I can't find much that heats the arms.
On Sunday, 13 September 2015 21:13:52 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

infra-red heater over the workbench. Probably only need a few hundred watts.
Owain
On Monday, 14 September 2015 10:27:56 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

sounds like a bowl heater
NT
On Sunday, 13 September 2015 16:19:38 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:

I wouldn't have thought that propane or (road taxed) diesel would be cheaper than electricity.
If you want to avoid condensation and ventilation requirements you'd need a room sealed gas heater such as a Baxi Brazilia, with an LPG conversion kit. Or could you get mains gas to the workshop?
Owain

Not the heat pump approach. Significant capital cost tho.

And LPG.

Propane or LPG if you don’t mind the small risk of the whole place blowing up very spectacularly indeed.
On Sunday, 13 September 2015 16:19:38 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:

no-one's mentioned solid fuel. I guess you've discounted the idea of hassleful free heat.
NT
On Sunday, 13 September 2015 16:19:38 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Unless you are going to leave it on permanently, electric is the best choice as the actual heater will be cheapest by far. Infra red as others have said.
If permanent, then entirely different ball game. Insulation, draught proofing and can you extend your house heating (CH radiator)?
On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 7:11:07 AM UTC+1, harry wrote:

Unless you will be using the workshop for long periods of time I think electric would take too long to warm the place up.
I use a diesel fired blow heater. It warms up the place very fast and if I'm feeling chilly I can stand in front of it for a short time.
Condensation can be a problem but I cover all horizontal machine surfaces with made to measure panels of ply and throw a cloth over other items that are prone to rusting. The occasional application of machine wax helps also.
On 14/09/2015 11:45, fred wrote:

I find for short periods of use in my relatively small workshop that an electric fan heater is remarkably effective. I'd endorse IR radiants for larger workshops or prolonged working (from experience in various industrial workshops, rather than my own).

On 13/09/2015 16:17, Cursitor Doom wrote:

What kind of building is it, how big, and how well insulated?
If the answer to the latter is "not well" then, is there scope for improvement?
I find fully electric in a 17' x 12' workshop that is fully lined with 2" of PIR foam to be relatively cheap. I have a wall mounted fan heater with an external stat to keep it about about 5 deg. I can turn that up when I am using it, and also supplement it with a standalone halogen heater. Only really needed for 20 mins to get the place to a comfortable temperature, then the fan heater will maintain it.
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm wrote:

I use a heat pump.

Kindly expand..
I briefly considered an air source heat pump for my carpentry tenant. AFAIR for around 1000ukp I could get his partitioned off office up to a reasonable temperature.
Heating the remaining 120 m2 was out of reach. Intermittent occupation did not help. Ideally something over 10deg.C for gluing.
Currently he is exploring electric fan heating spread across 3 phases. The roof has 75mm of PIR foam but the walls are 4" block. Internal insulation would be extremely disruptive and external leaves the thermal delay of heating the walls.
--
Tim Lamb