Concrete steps query.

Gradually replacing old and collapsing concrete steps on steep slope in garden.

Started at the top as these were in the worst state, and began on the principle that it would help keep back the slope if I overlapped the top one slightly, with the next one down.

After doing a few, I begin to notice that this method was actually adopted on the original steps, and they have all canted forward. Now these originals were not all that well made, and had quite a heavy front face of concrete, but the 'tail' if you like was just a thin skim over a row of bricks, and these in turn rested on black earth rather than subsoil. They had become undermined by roots and worms, and then tipped forward.

So, now I begin to think, perhaps I should be concentrating on holding down the back of each new step with the weight of the one above. This, though might reduce the ability of the whole staircase to act together to hold back the slope.

What is the 'normal' way to overlap stairs? I suppose I could start back down at the bottom and then overlap them both ways, but then I'm a bit vague on how to space them to meet comfortably in the middle.

Having said all this, the originals may have been there for a century, despite their poor construction, but I would like to at least try and get it right this time.

Spamlet