Concrete gully surround

The raised concrete kerb around the external trapped gully serving the kitchen has started to deteriorate. The concrete has flaked off exposing the rusting reinforcement.

The house wastes now enter through a single plastic pipe into the side of the ceramic gully, below the grating, the pipe being concreted in, though I have no idea how it actually seals to the gully.

I would now like to tidy things up, but not sure which way to go.

To reinstate as is, it looks like I need a kerb with inside dimensions about 300 mm x 600 mm. I have had a quick Google, but most of what I can see are for supporting road gullies, so not much help.

The next option is to try and build up the remains to the original outline, with mortar, but I fear that the rusting rebar will simply shed it again pretty quickly.

The gully has an outside tap above it, and can be handy for washing brushes without domestic disapproval. Nevertheless, I suppose that it would be possible to get out the angle grinder (well it had to come into it at some point) and take away all trace of the original kerb and the internal haunching, and simply re-finish level with the surrounding paving.

I am a little concerned that if I get too close to the gully (1970s vintage), it may well crack, and I don't really want to fit a new one and start chasing pipework to find an intact joint, not least because the manhole a couple of metres away is at least

2 metres deep.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon