collated screws

Hi,

Has anyone used collated screws and what were your opinions?

I see Tool station sell a budget silver line drill that uses them but they only seem to sell collated dry wall screws. Surely they are useful for so much more than just plasterboard?

I had a look at Screwfix and they sell many more types of collated screw but again most seem to be for drywalls. I wonder why this is? By which I mean, I wonder why they are not used for more applications; I can well imagine how useful they are for plasterboard. Is it something to do with plasterboard being nice and soft? Do the drills struggle with harder substrates?

I was thinking of using them for floor boarding. Screwfix have some decking screws but they all seemed quite long lengths intended for decking. Do shorter screws exist for floor boarding? Surely they must be a Godsend when you have a whole floor to do?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Ok I give up - what are collated screws?

Reply to
dave

No Google on your planet?

I didn't know, either....)

Reply to
Huge

> (OK, I didn't know, either....)

I'm still not sure either.

Dave

Reply to
dave

Think of a "belt fed machine-gun" for screws.

Reply to
Andy Burns

wont plasterboard screws do it?

NT

Reply to
NT

I don't use collated screws, but I do use a depth sensitive drywall screwdriver (many collated-screw drivers are based on one of these).

My experience is that everything has to be *just right* for them to work well. A good condition bit, driving absolutely straight and square etc., the slightest bit off-line (like in a corner) and they'll mess up. An absolutely consistent grip on the tool and forward pressure is necessary too - you develop a rhythm to getting it just right.

So my suspicions are that a collated driver might be more trouble than it's worth outside of that narrow formula.

For floorboards I use a paslode - far, far quicker and more consistent.

If someone invented a really good solution to power nailing plasterboard, I'd be interested.

Reply to
dom

As regards the Silverline model, take the £30 or whatever it costs & burn it. It will save you time & aggro.

Collated screws are used for drywall, plasterboard & decking.

Search the archive for Makita Autofeed Screwdriver.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I suppose they would work. After all, chipboard screws look suspiciously like plasterboard screws but it's not chipboard flooring but "proper" wooden floorboards. I just wanted to make sure I was using the right screw for the job.

Also, plasterboard screws were longer than I really need and I don't see the need to screw deeper than necessary into the joists, even though I think all the cables are at least 50mm below ;)

What depth do you think would be needed for a secure hold?3/4 inch?

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Nails are great if you know you'll never need to lift the boards again; I can't be that confident!

Reply to
Fred

Ha Ha. I thought someone would say that. They seem to be ok for cheap consumables but terrible for tools.

Thanks, will do.

Reply to
Fred

Yes, the penny dropped just after I saw the stuff that was holding them into a band and before I read your post. I was not reading the word collated the right way

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
dave

Right. The good news is one can use pretty much any coarse thread screw into any wood or wood product. To be honest though I'd be less than keen on lots of screwheads showing on a real wood floor. Nails dont perform as well but do look better.

Screwfix do from 25mm to 75mm collated.

one of those how long is a piece of string questions!

NT

Reply to
NT

Thanks. The floorboards are not varnished oak or anything that fancy and they will be buried under a carpet so in this instance screws will be ok and if I ever need to lift a board or two, much less hassle than nails. But I agree if you had expensive, pretty floorboards, nails would be better.

Reply to
Fred