coffee on keyboard

In message , whisky-dave writes

Interesting site. Ta.

The message I am getting is *avoid at all cost*:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Can't you rsync the two locations so that you have a nice bit of redundancy and so you're not putting information "out there" where it might go awol or be subject to all sorts of rights issues?

Or desktops in each location and just carry a hard disk around with you.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

In message , Tim Downie writes

Nice thought. I have suggested she claims on her own household insurance but, as she lives on a canal barge, I don't hold out much hope.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Errrm, why don't you ask on uk.comp.sys.mac? You'll stand a chance of getting a sensible answer.

Reply to
Tim Streater

OK all.

Don't touch it message received.

The entire crop: parents + grand child, youngest + boyfriend + dog have all been staying here for the last week.

Not an uncluttered horizontal surface in the entire house and trailing cables from wallwarts from every available socket.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I feel SO much better. That's exactly what I want to do to anyone's MAC, and to the owners too...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Tim Streater writes

Because they will want chapter and verse finding out which may raise false hopes and involve me further than I am currently:-)

She is currently using a borrowed laptop so no great urgency.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Several hundred sounds cheap tbh. If the coffee has got to the logic board it could be much higher.

As others have said, avoid it!

If you do decide to have a go, then ifixit is the place for info for most Apple stuff. I think the keyboard on some is actually supplied along with the top bit of the case.

Laptops are a pain to dismantle, apple laptops are some of the worst

example. Not trivial

Good luck!

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Yeah, our dogs do that a lot, too.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Who gave the estimate? Someone that knows what they are doing? sounds like an insurance job.

You may want to extract the disk drive and put it in a USB case and copy it as people never backup their data properly. It will become the property of the insurers when the new one arrives.

My cheap PC laptop has a sealed keyboard that is spill proof so I have no idea why they all aren't.

You could volunteer to copy the disk.

Reply to
dennis

In message , charles writes

Normally accompanied by a hernia

Reply to
geoff

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Well, you're welcome to pop down and see what we can do

Reply to
geoff

What sorts of fluids does it claim to be able to keep out?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

That is something you can test if you buy one.

I doubt if it would keep out certain solvents for long.

It showed a cup in the literature.. it would take geof to fill it.

Reply to
dennis

In message , geoff writes

There's kind!

I am still in low profile mode. She is working on a film location near Barnet and commuting from here so I only see her briefly in the evening.

The hard drive is reportedly OK and I doubt the data is of huge significance.

I think it is a recent Macbook pro.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

But nonetheless, why are you not asking on a Mac-oriented NG?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Wouldn't this be covered on contents insurance?

I am sure that I have laptop loss/ accidental damage cover on mine along with mobile phone cover

Regards

Reply to
TMC

If it's like any other laptop then the keyboard will be field replaceable. On some it can be done very easily, from the keyboard side, others require a few more screws to be removed. Keyboards are not integarted with the motherboards in any meaningful way.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In message , Tim Streater writes

Because I don't have enough information or knowledge to ask sensible questions. I don't want to get involved in the Willy waving of the XP memory thread:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , TMC writes

I would certainly expect this to be covered on my insurance should I aspire to a laptop.

The suggestion has been forwarded to the owner.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb