Cleaning washing machine - white vinegar?

Any suggestions on the best thing to flush through a washing machine after some rather "nasty" loads?
I'm sure I read somewhere just to stick in a couple of cups of white vinegar and stick it on a hot rinse?
All those expensive tablets just seem a bit OTT..
regards Paul
--
paul <at> spamcop.net