Cleaning silk

I have a small stain on a silk tie. A lot of US-based websites suggest using "alcohol" to help clean it, but to me that means anything from Muscadet to methylated spirits.

Any better/more precise suggestions?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

They mean IPA or Rubbing alcohol. You can buy the stuff by the gallon at any store over there. Here Ebay is your friend, or persuade your local chemist to supply but that can cost.

Reply to
Ericp

In message , D.M. Procida writes

I certainly wouldn't use a 20yo single malt or Jack Daniels. However, I think that isopropyl would be a good bet.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Would think they mean Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) available through the chemists. Explaining to them what it is for may well make the purchase easier.

What about one of the propriety stain removers?

You could try this :-

soup

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1l880fm.10z0mee1kn4tflN% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

It depends on what the stain is, so no one can say.

Reply to
harryagain

But probably not a chain chemist or one that doesn't make up medicines. A few years ago I had an NEC dot matrix printer that would skid to a stop every two years or so. The NEC recommended cure was to clean the affected parts with alcohol. I got a bottle from the local branch of Boots. Many years on and I needed more so I returned to the same branch with the bottle (with Boots label affixedl) and asked for more, to be met by complete incomprehension because none of the staff knew that they had ever sold it.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Also depends on th quality and colour of the silk. It can be well nigh impossible to clean properly.

Reply to
fred