Cleaning Popup Plug

We have two modern basins with integral popup plugs.

Unfortunately, they clog up (with the usual gunk, hair, etc.) quite quickly and are unpleasant to clean out. Seems they need a thorough scrubbing each and every time they are attacked - which seems to be necessary inordinately frequently.

Part of the problem is the bit of plastic at the bottom which is designed to make sure that everything is caught and blocks up the plughole. OK - so that stops some stuff blocking the drain further down

- but it retains massively more than ordinary plugholes and the drains didn't used to block up.

I suspect the answer will be "fat chance" - but is there any way of reducing this problem - maybe replacing the web-like plastic thing with some that is smoother and lets more through?

Picture of (not too clagged up) "plug":

Reply to
Rod

Does it come off the plug? If so, I would try just removing it, although you might find it's necessary to ensure reliable movement and seating of the plug.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I had one of these on a basin in the past. It was also a PITA with hair.

Eventually the plastic strainer disintegrated leaving just the plastic core on the shaft. The plug continued to work because it locates using the metal flutes on the side. There were no problems with blocked drains.

Reply to
Andy Hall